Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60 Days

Talking 60 Days

Hi guys,

After watching a TED talk by Cesar Kurlyama, I decided to record a second of video every day for 60 days and make it into a 60 second video. This is a very different kind of film for me, so I'm eager to know what you guys think, and how anyone else might interpret the idea if you were to make your own.

Interesting idea. It's a bit too random for me. I think you missed an opportunity to tell a narrative of some sort which would have been a better video. May be the randomness is the narrative, the randomness of normal life. I don't know.

what did the Bin of Death do?

It's a good point. Something like this might be good for showing a progression of another project or event.
    For the Bin of Death, everyone put in their drinks and ladled it out into cups. Devastating.

It is only recently I became concious of 1 second shots [Stripe's comments about a gravreyard scene, in another thread]. This 60sec video is a reminder of how fast the brain can interpret a scene. However, 1 second is also long enough to consider whether the shot is in focus or is pleasantly framed. Unlike standard stop frame clips (a building being built or a child growing up); this clip's central theme are slivers of 2 months in the life of BrithEye's life. Sadly, we must also take it all on trust; afterall, we could all dig around our unused videos and fake the results.

I found this an interesting clip, but am fairly shocked at some of the scenes, many of which should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Cesar Kurlyama describes himself as a 'creative human person'. His own version appears here; , but in my mind it suffers the same problems.

I'd have to say that if I were to take on a 60 day project, I would at least attempt some kind of theme or story/message to make it all worthwhile.

But it is also a positive that you have to get that cam out every day and think about filming, which has to be a benefit. Did you find yourself filming other things, or doing other projects because of this?

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    It is only recently I became concious of 1 second shots [Stripe's comments about a gravreyard scene, in another thread]. This 60sec video is a reminder of how fast the brain can interpret a scene. However, 1 second is also long enough to consider whether the shot is in focus or is pleasantly framed. Unlike standard stop frame clips (a building being built or a child growing up); this clip's central theme are slivers of 2 months in the life of BrithEye's life. Sadly, we must also take it all on trust; afterall, we could all dig around our unused videos and fake the results.

I found this an interesting clip, but am fairly shocked at some of the scenes, many of which should have been left on the cutting room floor.

Cesar Kurlyama describes himself as a 'creative human person'. His own version appears here; , but in my mind it suffers the same problems.
    I think that's a very good point. A balance between quality content and quality of image is a very difficult one with a project like this. In the opening weeks I was shooting for a project on a Canon 7D in 1080p, whereas later on I captured moments on my phone's 720p camera, and at times using the front facing camera which is significantly lower quality. After every day I'd archive all of the video I'd taken in a day and picked the best second which best represented the most interesting part or small detail of the day, sometimes sacrificing image quality.

If I were to be on holiday and have my DSLR to hand most of the time, this video would be much higher quality, but instead in a day-to-day situation, I only had my phone to hand. I'd say that were a bad idea but I think it's helped to connect with other people a lot easier. This is a video to represent everyday life, and not jazz it up (barring the music) to look more than it is. I'm not particularly trying to defend it, just describing that I went through the same thought process.

Something I didn't think of was that you can't particularly prove that these were shot once a day. My best answer to that would be if they were all shot separately to the day they happened, I wouldn't be sitting in an office for half of it, I'd be skydiving and deep sea diving. :P
    Last edited by BritishEye; 04-27-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    I'd have to say that if I were to take on a 60 day project, I would at least attempt some kind of theme or story/message to make it all worthwhile.

But it is also a positive that you have to get that cam out every day and think about filming, which has to be a benefit. Did you find yourself filming other things, or doing other projects because of this?
    I did actually find myself doing things I wouldn't normally do. I was living in South Wales on an internship for the majority of this project and I didn't know the area very well. Whilst I spent most of my internship exploring and shooting locations in the area, on days where nothing different happened I found myself driving out to an interesting spot I'd been to before and getting a shot there (Day 16 / 5th March).

The internship I was on had me out and about in the local area finding the local natural and man-made attractions, so it gave me a lot to use, and some of the shots I took on the Canon 7D are used here. It's sort of a way of remembering my internship and the few weeks after. You can see me editing and colour correcting later in the video, and on Day 39 / 28th March I say "It's my last day".

Blog Entries

I don't think one second by itself is long enough. Personally, i would have a day as 3 or 4 short 3-4 second videos of the same event. It lets you take in the moments better. I'd save the short 1-2 second clips where there is a real impact, for example someone saying, happy birthday or jumping out of a plane. The brevity of this clip (compared to the others) will accentuate the message.

The film is now on the Virgin Media Shorts website.

If you check it out there, i hate to ask, but please hit one of the share buttons and it would help so much.

60 Days in 60 Seconds - Virgin Media Shorts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast