Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My music video from April shot on an iphone 4s

Default My music video from April shot on an iphone 4s

So as part of my project Music Video A Month me and a friend shot a video entirely on an iphone 4s and had a go at split screen. There was a really quick turn around with only one day to shoot in about 12 locations with 40 set ups. I nearly went crazy!
    Theres some technical bits I want to go back and improve some day but at the moment I'm cracking on with this months video which is totally different!

Ampersand - The River - YouTube

Theres a blog about it here as well if your interested

A very ambitious task to do a music video a month, very commendable, I only wish I still have your energy and enthusiasm. I liked the idea of this video. I've seen it before of course but I think you did quite well given the time constraints you mentioned. For me the worst part is the over all grading. I know the "Canon log look" is fashionable but I don't like it. I think it's great to give a video a 1970's feel but in this context I don't think it's right.

I thought the song was great and the talent were perfect. It held my interest throughout but given more time I'm sure you would have made a better job of knitting the two sides of the screen better. I would have loved a happy ending which I feel I didn't get even if intended.

Well done on this and good luck for your next project.
    Last edited by Midnight Blue; 04-27-2013 at 09:47 PM.

I was expecting to dislike the cinematography foreknowing it was shot on an iPhone but was pleasantly surprised! I really like the setup you had and applaud how well the matching of objects and angles paid off. My only niggle is that I'm not sure the low contrast works well here, and a tad bit of crushing the blacks and whites in post could help bring the video to life a little better.

My friend has worked with Charlie Elliott before in 'Everyone Loves a Welsh Girl' and it was great to see a recognisable face!

Let me say this style is not aimed at the likes of me!
    At the start I wondered why the actors were so miserable, and not playing the music . . .I was expecting the Band to feature somewhere . . . then I like the Dafodil hand-over, although not quite edited "right" - and as others have said, the colour grading/matching was a bit dull . . . . the difficulty is that sometimes these "effects" are intentional.... but it's best to do "Experimental Stuff" when your reputation is established.... er, IMHO.

What I don't unerstand is why anyone invests so much effort and cost (if the actors time has notional value), then films it on something that is almost impossible to control . . . . sure, it is "surprising" that such films are watchable at all . . . but how much easier would the filmmker be working with a real camcorder, I wonder?
    Last edited by vidmanners; 04-26-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Liked it a lot. Loved the concept and I think the execution was fine. I don't believe the shots shoudl match perfectly as in my mind I want the talent to be in different locations and items passing across the frames to provide no more than a link between the two.
    I'm another who is a bit anti the grading, but i don;t think i'm quite as strongly opposed as the others.

There were two areas where it fell down for me:

1. The hand held shots really didn't work. One can focus on one wobbly shot, but two different wobbly shots at the same time are realluy difficult to watch. Worth trying but doesn't work in my book.

2. Why was the split not exactly in the centre? (And clearly not far enough off to make a point). This bugged me so much that I actually paused the video after a minute and measured it to check I wasn't mistaken. A major distraction for me - and I now begin to understand those people who cannot concentrate on anything once they spot a picture is hung not quite level....
    Tim

Bizarre concept, interesting. The talent looked great, thought their gazing should have led to more of an intense plot to match the music, never did really understand their sadness and there was no explanation - or was there?.

Bit jerky on the right side, was distracting at the beginning, noticed the last 2 frames weren't split 50-50 - was there a reason?

An exercise in angles and perspective, just reinforcing how hard that can be, I don't envy this task, so you did well.

I'm glad i-phones suck

again, thanks for the comments

split screen off- human error, lack of time, laziness can all be blamed. I've never done split screen before, every time I thought it was correct, it went wrong again. Any tips on getting this right in the edit- send em my way!

grading- I need to sort my grading shit out, seems to be a constant niggle. We went for flat because the contrast between the two at times was too much.

shaky handheld- most of these were outdoors, we used a steady cam, but if you check out the girls hair, it was windy, too windy for an iPhone on an iPhone steadicam, just not enough weight. Indoor wobbly shots were me nearly falling off mattresses, any tips on shooting bed scenes with light kit looking down - maybe better grip to use so the mattress doesn't cause imbalance.

why use a phone- broadcasters and marketers are sending their digital producers out to learn how to shoot content on phones/iPads/ small cameras. Young people wanting to join the media industry are being encouraged to create content using the same devices. It's happening, so I thought I'd join in.

This project is all about learning and experimenting with different ideas and techniques, the person working with me had never worked with video on the production side or idea generating ever before, the project tests my traditional skills, pushes my technical ability (sometimes a little too far admittedly) and also pushes me to create stuff in very short periods with a range of people.
    As a result I am learning my limitations, getting to know new bits of techy things and gain new perspectives on ideas.
    The intention is that at the end of the project, the overall quality will be very much improved, and I have no shame in showing that progression publicly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzymuffin View Post
    split screen off- human error, lack of time, laziness can all be blamed. I've never done split screen before, every time I thought it was correct, it went wrong again. Any tips on getting this right in the edit- send em my way!
    I could tell you in Sony Vegas, but I believe you're an Applette!
    Basically i'd use X/Y coordinates to work out exactly where the halfway mark is and adjust footage accordingly.
    If that really isn't available to you then use a ruler on your screen.
    Or split it obviously off centre for a more interesting effect (and mocve the split position in subsequent images?) Hmmmm - giving me more ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzymuffin View Post
    why use a phone- broadcasters and marketers are sending their digital producers out to learn how to shoot content on phones/iPads/ small cameras. Young people wanting to join the media industry are being encouraged to create content using the same devices. It's happening, so I thought I'd join in.
    I can see that making sense on one level, but you have access to much more suitable equipment.

I thought you'd done it just to see what could be done. Which I'm all in favour of.
    Tim

That statement bothered me too Tim. I wanted to question OP whether this was actuality, or is more-so that people with limited resources are using i-phones?

From what I've seen, people may not be able to afford student loans, and buy expensive cameras, but they all have i-phones.

Is it a practicality? Or are broadcasters really sending them out?

Thanks Tim,
    I had some clear plastic with a marker over my screen at one point but it kept moving, I need to find x y markers..

I was also shooting on a phone to see what I could do with it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast