Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yesno - a sci-fi short film

Default Yesno - a sci-fi short film

Hi guys, i'm new to this forum and wanted to put up a link to a sci-fi short I just completed called Yesno. It's only 8 minutes so even if you're not keen, at least it won't take out a huge chunk of your day! Thanks, Stephen. Anyway, here it is; Yesno - a short film by Stephen Reid - YouTube

I found this very hard to critique. There is a lot to like about this but also a lot technically wrong with it. I'm guessing you are more of a writer than a film maker. I did watch it to the end and thought the twist at the end was a good idea. I thought the pace of the piece was about right, it needed to be a little slow, which it is. I think this adds to make the viewer uncomfortable because it makes you absorb the characters and hopeless their situation.

The actors did ok with what is a difficult piece to pull off so I guess the director did his job. I think the guy could have been given a little more desperation about how he feels about his loneliness but I'm not a writing expert.

Well done over all.

Thanks for taking the time to watch it, I appreciate the feedback.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    also a lot technically wrong with it.
    I thought the audio was dodgy but did you find anything visual technically wrong? Nothing jumped out at me.
    I think the guy giving more desperation is a tricky one - too much and the ending is predictable.
    I liked it but found it a tad on the slow side.
    Tim

Opening shot was wobbly, second shot should have more sky or no sky in it not just a bit in one corner. Third shot wobbly, well, more twitchy than wobbly. Forth shot is ambitious to start with everything out of focus and have the talent walk into focus, the talent has to nail his mark to be in focus with such a shallow depth of field and he didn't.

Do you need more.

I liked it because it represents that writing, camera composition, and portrayal of emotion using blank space can outperform HD full frame mega action bang bang any day of the week.

Skills not thrills

I enjoyed it, and did not anticipate that ending. I thought it was well planned and found the 3 characters very acceptable. [I loved the curt 'No' from the computer, when the man asks whether she might like a present].
    I liked the discreteness of the separate sections of the story. The long scenes gave alot of time to consider the situation and perchance wonder how I might react in a similar situation; or imagine how and why certain things had come to pass.
    The confused audio levels made me dash for my volume control several times;(particularly the crashing chairs in the kitchen), and I did not like the crackle/distortion of the radio(It did not quite sound like I usually hear faked radios in videos).

Blog Entries

Opening shot was wobbly, second shot should have more sky or no sky in it not just a bit in one corner. Third shot wobbly, well, more twitchy than wobbly. Forth shot is ambitious to start with everything out of focus and have the talent walk into focus, the talent has to nail his mark to be in focus with such a shallow depth of field and he didn't.

Do you need more.
    I'll give you point 2.
    I thought the others were all intentional (including the talent never getting into focus - it would have been different if he'd moved through focus) to give an air of mystery/uneasiness.
    Tim

I suppose we'll have to see if the OP gets back to confirm if it was all on purpose or not.

Blog Entries

I suppose we'll have to see if the OP gets back to confirm if it was all on purpose or not.
    Irrespective, you found it a distraction, so it's at least a partial fail
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast