Thread: Single-frame video

Default Single-frame video

Hi everyone,
    I'm new to editing softwares and I would appreciate any help from you guys.

Here it's my problem:
    I've been trying to display a restaurant menu on a LG TV, but the TV doesn't hold a still jpg on the image mode for more than a few minutes.
    So the solution that I came up with was to create a video that shows the same frame for about 6 hours. All tries that I did so far have resulted in huge files since the initial jpg is in high resolution. Is there any way that I can create a video displaying the same frame over and over again for 6 hours without ending up with a 5Gb file?
    Thanks again!

I'm assuming you've been into the LG settings and haven't found a way to HOLD that single JPG? I know my SONY BRAVIA allows me to do this. What is the LG model number?

How are you getting the JPG to be shown on your LG? From a USB stick? DVD player? What?

There'll be a solution.

Blog Entries

Although LCD screens don't suffer from the same "burn in" issues as old CRT screens (I.e an image left on screen for too long will be permanently etched), I wouldn!t recommend leaving a jpg static for that long. Think about the following:

• Dividing the menu up will let people read it more eeasily
    • it will create a focal point by grabbing people's attention (especially if combined with a specials or discount offer)

I would create a sideshow of three to four images, an then set thus to repeat. Set the interval to around 30 seconds or so.

If the OP really wants to create a video, here are 2 possible options:

Either use Premiere to encode the video as MP4, with a low framerate (Premiere may have options to go as low as 10fps), with the maximum number of frames between keyframes (Premiere may have a max of 300), and to encode using 2 pass VBR.

Or, alternatively, a better method (perhaps) is to use the commandline program FFMPEG (FFmpeg).
    I have just created a 4hr 43min video, which runs at 1 fps, contains a single image ("test.png") and created a 140Mb output file ("myoutput.mp4"), using the command:

ffmpeg -loop_input -t 18000 -r 1/17000 -i test.png -r 1 myoutput.mp4

Blog Entries

There's certainly a myriad of options. Another is to set the image as a DVD men item.

Tim, Marc, I've just been astounded by the options for actually PLAYING from a USB stick with AVC, and a whole raft of Videos directly from a USB stick. Using just this simple method, and as long as your LG LCD can play videos, you have a tremendous amount of options. First things first then would be to ascertain, determine IF LG can playVideos from a USB stick!

I've just been able to "HOLD" or rather pause the video playing from the stick.

BUT AGAIN this is NOT recommended. LCD don't get burn-in as the phosphorus on the inside of CRTs did, here their crystals get a "memory" and I've just found out there is the possibility for the crystals to get back to default. But I wouldn't chance it.

However, making a small video that changes, maybe with a softly changing background would be they way to go.

Interesting . . .

I can even PAUSE the playing of the videos too. NOT RECOMMENDED! - But I can do it.

Also, the TV will play the footage, file after file so there is that option for looping too.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazie View Post
    I'm assuming you've been into the LG settings and haven't found a way to HOLD that single JPG? I know my SONY BRAVIA allows me to do this. What is the LG model number?

How are you getting the JPG to be shown on your LG? From a USB stick? DVD player? What?

There'll be a solution.

Grazie,
    The TV's are LG LED TV model 42LM3400.
    I have searched all the options in the TV menu and also got in the special menu for technicians, but there's no option to display a still image for more than a few minutes. I am accessing the jpg from a USB stick.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    Although LCD screens don't suffer from the same "burn in" issues as old CRT screens (I.e an image left on screen for too long will be permanently etched), I wouldn!t recommend leaving a jpg static for that long. Think about the following:

• Dividing the menu up will let people read it more eeasily
    • it will create a focal point by grabbing people's attention (especially if combined with a specials or discount offer)

I would create a sideshow of three to four images, an then set thus to repeat. Set the interval to around 30 seconds or so.
    Marc,
    I warned the restaurant's owner about the burn in problem, but he told me it was worth to take the risk since he got a really good deal when he bought the TV's. The problem with dividing the menu is that we don't have enough space on the screen to display anything else beside the menu (it's huge...lots of items..we actually have 3 TV's for it).
    Thanks
    Last edited by ponceleo; 04-22-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    If the OP really wants to create a video, here are 2 possible options:

Either use Premiere to encode the video as MP4, with a low framerate (Premiere may have options to go as low as 10fps), with the maximum number of frames between keyframes (Premiere may have a max of 300), and to encode using 2 pass VBR.

Or, alternatively, a better method (perhaps) is to use the commandline program FFMPEG (FFmpeg).
    I have just created a 4hr 43min video, which runs at 1 fps, contains a single image ("test.png") and created a 140Mb output file ("myoutput.mp4"), using the command:

ffmpeg -loop_input -t 18000 -r 1/17000 -i test.png -r 1 myoutput.mp4
    Tim,
    I have tried to create the video with a lower frame rate before, but the player in the TV didn't recognize it.
    I'll try again using the methods you described.
    Thanks