Thread: Green Screen in Premiere

1. Default Green Screen in Premiere

Okay I am going to start this question off with asking you to picture in your mind this: Imagine you have a large circular dow rod that is very think, and it is covered in green paper. Now at the top of this dow rod covered in green paper or painted green what ever you prefer, there is a chair positioned so that it sits on top as so it looks balanced. Now the question. If I want to make this chair look like it's floating I can video this chair, then move the chair and dow rod, and film what I call empty space. Then in editing I can put the green screen layer on top, then the empty space on bottom and get the desired effect. Here's the problem though, if I walk around and behind the chair and the dow rod, then in post when I apply the effect I will be lost when I cross behind the green dow rod. So how can I achieve this?

I have read this 3 times and cannot understand the question.
    What does you mean "empty space"?

Does this graphic show the conditions? In the 1st position, simply keying out the green would remove part of the man's leg?
    demo_chair_rod.jpg

3. Default

What I mean by Empty Space. In Adobe premiere when you apply the "Green Screen" keying effect it detects all the green in the scene and pulls it out, leaving black or what I call "Empty Space". Now you are free to fill that space with anything you want, pictures, video, whatever. So whenever I film things that are coverd in green paper or painted I always remember I have to leave the camera exaclty where it is and film the same area just minus the items that were covered/painted. So now I have two shots, one with the covered items, one without. So when I put them together in premiere, when I add that keying effect I have something to fill that space up with. Another example I can think of is, imagine a green pole with a coffee cup attached to the end of it in front of a brick wall. You want to make the coffee cup look like it is floating so how do you accomplish this? You do two takes, one of the pole and coffee cup in front of the brick wall, then another shot of just the brick wall. So again when you add the effect in premiere when the green gets taken out and replaced with black you can fill it in with the missing pieces of the brick wall. I hope this makes a little more sence, I had a tough time explaining it the first time. So the question is: let's say I wanted to add myself in to the shot of the coffee cup, if I do it the way I've come up with then I wouldn't be able to grab the coffee cup becuase I'm in the second shot not the first.. God I hope this makes sense. If not let me know and maybe I could send a vid on it to you or something. Thanks for taking the time to try and help me figure this out.

Blog Entries

You have got the filming bit wrong.
    If you wanted your coffee cup "floating" in front of a brick wall...
    1. Film the brick wall.
    2. Film the coffee cup with a green background.
    3. Using your chromakey software you place the footage of the brick wall as one layer, put the footage of the coffee cup with the green background on top of it then "remove" the green which becomes transparent.
    You now have your coffee cup "floating" in front of the brick wall.

5. Default

Okay that makes more sense. So what if I want to be able to walk up and grab the coffee cup in the scene? I think I am going to take a quick vid and post it on here. Then you can tell me what it is I'm doing wrong. The thing you posted thought helps. Now it's just a matter of what if I, or my actors need to interact with the objects. Look for it in a bit. Thank you.

With reference to the image which I posted in my earlier reply, perhaps you are questioning whether RembrandtRob's solution can apply. In particular, you appear to want to the human to appear to move around the object. Such that sometimes the human is in front, and sometime behind.

Blog Entries

The easiest way would be...

1. Film the background (without any objects or people)
    2. Film the action in front of a green screen. So you have your chair, or coffee cup in front of a green screen AND on top of a green pole. The actor comes in, picks up the coffee cup and walks out (or whatever).
    3. Using your chromakey software you place the footage of the brick wall as one layer, put the footage of the "action" with the green background on top of it then "remove" the green which becomes transparent.