Thread: Premiere audio sync problem (VHS Conversion)

Default Premiere audio sync problem (VHS Conversion)

Hi All,

I have been converting some old VHSs Home Movies to DVD via a Panasonic NV GS55 Camcorder, capturing via Premiere. After I capture them Premier creates an .avi file that plays back fine (audio and video in sync) in both VLC and Windows Media Player.
    But when I bring the file into a sequence in Premiere for editing the audio goes out of sync. (Not hugely out of sync...maybe a second or less)

While capturing there were some frames dropped maybe 20 or so. I guess this could be the problem but the why does the audio and video sync in VLC and WMP but not in Premiere?

Also I was able to get the audio to sync up by changing the speed of it to 100.03% (3 hour video) but then when I rendered it to an avi the audio was out of sync when I played it in VLC and WMP.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stalkishi View Post
    Hi All,

I have been converting some old VHSs Home Movies to DVD via a Panasonic NV GS55 Camcorder, capturing via Premiere. After I capture them Premier creates an .avi file that plays back fine (audio and video in sync) in both VLC and Windows Media Player.
    But when I bring the file into a sequence in Premiere for editing the audio goes out of sync. (Not hugely out of sync...maybe a second or less)

While capturing there were some frames dropped maybe 20 or so. I guess this could be the problem but the why does the audio and video sync in VLC and WMP but not in Premiere?

Also I was able to get the audio to sync up by changing the speed of it to 100.03% (3 hour video) but then when I rendered it to an avi the audio was out of sync when I played it in VLC and WMP.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks
    is out out of sync the whole way through? if so, on the time line un- link the audio from the video and drag it along the time line so it is back in sync.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

In windows media player/organise/options/performance, there is a check box for 'drop frames to keep audio/video synchronised'.

It's possible that this needs to be checked/unchecked, this could be masking a problem, Premiere is showing it as a real problem, WMP is overcoming it.

Maybe this kind of setting was also used when you captured the file?