Thread: GoPro quality after editing

Default GoPro quality after editing

Hi all,

I am shooting at 1024, 24fps on my GoPro 3 silver. When I watch the raw video, the quality is OK.
    I then edit it, and render is 1024, 24fps, and there is a visible reduction in quality. It's not as sharp anymore...

Is this just because of the editing? I thought there would be no loss of quality with digital files...
    Are there tips and tricks for obtaining the best possible quality?

This could be down to the editing if you have stretch the colour correction too far but more likely to be that you have rendered the footage at a lower bit rate than the original. Check what the camera recorded at and try and match it. You will also find that some formats look better than others. For example .mp4 is popular with a lot of people and can produce a very nice result but .mp2 is a better format for quality with some types of original footage.

You can get what is known as lossless CODECs usually found in the .avi wrappers but using these you will end up with much bigger files. You will have to experiment your self with this and find a happy medium with quality and files size.

Hope that helps.

3. Default

The video recorded by the GoPro is compressed. In order to edit it, you've decompressed it, done your edits, recompressed it in order to save.

If there is only a small reduction in sharpness then probably it's because the video was compressed twice. Every time you use "lossy" compression you are losing sharpness.

It's possible that you have inadvertently transformed your video to another colour space. For example, if the original video file was stored as YCbCr 4:2:2 and the output file is now YCbCr 4:2:0; however, it's much more likely that you've simply done two compressions.