Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Music Vid, Feeback plz

Default New Music Vid, Feeback plz

Hi Just finished cutting my latest job. This is a 1st draft cut, opinions please, would love to hear from you all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aWum...ature=youtu.be

Private video!

sorry about that, it's now available

Generally I think you've made a reasonable music video with this. It's got a lot of elements to hold the views interest, it's fitting to the music track, if not very original but that's often the hard part of making a music video these days, getting that killer original idea.

I think you have reached a technical level where you need to make some decisions about where you want to go with your film making. For example, while the lighting used in this video was acceptable for a certain level, it seemed to me, that you need some training on how to use lighting properly. You will also need to learn when to use what type of light in the right situation to help you create the right look and mood for your films.

What I'm trying to say is that you seem to have reached a technical plateau and need to decide whether you want to take it to the next level or stay at the point you are at now. If you choose to take it to the next level it will mean doing a lot of study about lighting and camera craft.

Hi Midnight, Of course I am looking to advance in my filmmaking, the only light I had available when shooting this was a small halogen light which was used to shoot the entire poker scene, the room was very small and proved incredibly awkward positioning the light and camera around the activity at the table to get the right shots, what did you think of the editing?

Do you think the main problem with the lighting is the inconstancy of lighting direction where, I only had the one light it has been moved a lot to light different subjects? Or possibly the colouring has given it a similar inconsistency ? Or do you think it is the particular light I have used in that environment is wrong?

I think it was alright as a music video. But the poker scenes played on my mind too.

When I look again, it's due to the excessive shadow, take them away and the lighting would probably work, but the shadows feel wrong, they even appear on the lace curtain, they're uncomfortable, too strong and often in all the wrong directions for what should have been a main light that the players would/should be using.

First of all it looks unnatural that people would play poker in their living room in dim light. I would light this so that the players could actually play poker, then go see what you have got through the lens, that would equal natural?

I'm not really expert enough on lighting to give you the sort of advice you need. As Stripe has said the poker scenes don't look right. There is a strong and out of place shadow. I would have lit it very differently. Probably having a strong back light and a light pointing straight down from above the table. There is a lot of colour difference in each of the poker scene shots Example the shot at 1:52 is a cold white light but the next shot is a very warm orange light. It's as though they are two difference places. This is probably to do with the white balance of the camera rather than the lighting it's self but it should be corrected.

Like I said in my previous post you have a steep learning curve and have to realise it's not going to happen overnight.

Thanks for your comments and critique, Like I said I only had the one light on set of this scene and it is a harsh orange glow halogen work lamp, also we were lacking a tripod so we had to prop it up on a stack of shoeboxes so obviously we had limited height in which we could place the light, leaving the light mostly facing upwards which causes the uncomfortable shadows and the lack of light directed toward the table itself, it's just the way it turned out as it was shot with minimal budget and equipment and we only had that one evening in which to get this scene shot so we did it with what we had, the lighting was not designed to any formation which is of course my mistake . The contrast in colour is down to how I have adjusted levels and colour balance in editing, this is still just a 1st draft of the video and I can correct this and will attempt to soften the shadows as much as possible, I'll get back to you when I have made some adjustments, of course I cannot change the lighting set up but I will see what I can do with the images in my editing programme.

I understand your limitations in this shoot and I'm not criticising you, I'm just trying to encourage you to do better. I used work lights for my first music video. Some shots worked but others didn't. It was a great learning curve for me.

Like I keep saying Mark. It's up to you now, you need to up your game. Things like only having one light shouldn't be an issue as part of making a music video is the planning (probably the most important part). If you don't have the money to buy the equipment you have to beg, steal, borrow or improvise. It's surprising how inventive you can get when you put your mind to it. A couple of strong tungsten bulbs and some paper lanterns and you have got an evenly lit room with no shadows. Add a small desk lamp as a key light or even a back light. Jobs done for around 20.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast