Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with the video editing process

Default Help with the video editing process

Hi all,

I got a GoPro (3 Silver) which I attach to my Quad Copter and film my learning experience. But on the weekend, I got to go go-kart racing, and decided to take my camera, and was lucky to get a helmet with a GoPro attachment. So, I filmed the races, of whihc there were 4, lasting around 12 minutes per race. However, from Start to End of each race session, is around 21 minutes of video. So at the end of the day, I have 84 minutes of video to edit.

Now, my problem...
    I need to know how to handle 4 x 21 minute files (Actually, lands up being around 12 files, as the GoPro splits at 2Gb, I think).

I load them into the 'Bin' (Sony Movie Studio 12)... but then, to get the bits I want from the video is a very strange process.
    I draw the first video onto the timeline, then watch it. When I see something, I 'snip' before it starts, and then 'snip at the end. I delete the surrounding video, and move the snip part to the start of the time line. Then, I repeat.. draw the whole video onto the time line, and watch more... and then snip...

Is that the best way? There's a 'trimmer' at the top, but I can't see a way to do what I am doing any more efficient, and snipping seems very hard.

Could someone enlighten me as to how the pro guys do it?

Anyway, here's the 1.03 version (Bad timing, I know! How do you do a video to a beat of song?!)

Crashes - YouTube

And here is the full version:

Karting at Kingston Park - YouTube

Crit it!

I'm no pro, but find it easy to snip the track both ends, then drag that piece to a separate track above. Then delete the left unwanted part of the original track, and keep going. Eventually you have another track with all your edits. Then bunch them up and shift select all and drag them to the start.

Snipping is more accurate if you use the arrow keys to go back and forward a frame at a time before pressing S to snip.

You can also allow the track to play and keep pressing S to snip, if you could get clever at this you could rough snip a whole track in one go. In fact I did this once on the beat of the music, so it gave me cuts right on the beat.
    Last edited by Stripe; 04-17-2013 at 04:35 AM.

Ah yeah! That's a good idea... both the snipping and moving, and the beat of the music... Would be nice if there was a way to mark the track with the beat... I know there's the sound wave on the music track, but that isn't always good, as it's not necessarily 'doof, doof' music where the beat stands out. Wishful thinking, I guess. Thanks for the ideas!

I think you can choose tempo (bpm) to align with the video track, but I've never delved that far. It's within the sample settings, where you would normally choose absolute time, right click on the physical timer that is above the track listings, (middle left of screen) for options.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
    Would be nice if there was a way to mark the track with the beat...
    That's why they invented the marker! Or it's one of the reasons.
    Put the music on the timeline and play it (at a slowed down rate if you like) and tap the "M" key on every beat. This is (to my mind) better than mapping to a set tempo as it allows for music which changes tempo and also allows for a bit of "feel".
    Tim

Ah! I might try this...
    How do you play the video at a slower rate though?

Blog Entries

There's a control at the lower left. It says "Rate" next to it.
    Have you tried the Interactive Tutorials yet (under Help)? I recommend you do.
    Tim

Tim,
    maybe a Video Editing forum (/Sony V?) subject rather than a Pimp the Link?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Tim,
    maybe a Video Editing forum (/Sony V?) subject rather than a Pimp the Link?
    Good point, well made! Actioned.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    I'm no pro, but find it easy to snip the track both ends, then drag that piece to a separate track above.
    This is exactly what the Trimmer is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Then delete the left unwanted part of the original track, and keep going. Eventually you have another track with all your edits. Then bunch them up and shift select all and drag them to the start.
    Please, please do try out the Trimmer. It gets rid of all the "shuffling" and need for cleaning-up after the editing and so on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast