Thread: What to do when you lost motivation?

1. Default What to do when you lost motivation?

I've been in videography for about 4 years now and I have to say, it was realy tough years with extreme low income and a lot of work. I did manage to improve my equipment and expertise portfolio, but the income is still so low, that I can't even rent myself a flat. At the same time I've got very confused and unmotivated about what am I doing, what was the thing I loved to do. Maybe there was just a lot of works where I was scammed and worked for nothing, so I got a feeling that I don't really like to work that anymore. I'm still so eager to pick up my camera and shoot something, but I don't have any idea what to shoot. It's just an inside deep wish of doing something and not knowing what exactly I want to do.

Have I lost my motivation, or I still didn't find the thing I love to do? Has anyone had the same period in life? Maybe even lost it's relationship with a girl you loved in such period which could be even bigger demotivator...? :\

Any opinion on this would be grateful *.*

I understand your current position. I have found the video industry very hard to get in to BUT I'm lucky that I have another source of income to see me through. You are still very young with a potential so bright and I'm at the other end of the spectrum.

I don't know what the economy is like in Slovenia but here in the UK it's very tough. This means you have to decide to either up your game get out there and promote your services to everybody you come across or decide you need to get into another industry and just do videos as a hobby.

It's hard when you take a knock in life but that's how life is. It's tough out there and we all get knocks, the best of us pick ourselves up, dust ourselves down and start again until the next time.

Smalltown, Queensland

I'd think back before the 4 years and ask yourself what it was you were avoiding.

Wanting to be a pop star, film producer, book writer etc is the kind of thing that runs through everyone's head, usually right before they have to face up to the fact that it's time to get a job, knuckle down and be responsible.

You are not alone in that.

Maybe you are getting life confused with video producer? Most of what you describe is normal growing up.

I think nearly everyone in the industry (or trying to break into the industry) has probably faced these issues and personal questions at some point or another in the past - I know I certainly have - but you just have to keep your head down and keep working and trying to make opportunities, although it easier said than done. It's an incredibly difficult industry out there and a freelancers life can be a tough one but also it can be incredibly rewarding.
    Driftwood - Available on iTunes -

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

5. Default

Thank you all for feedbacks! I hope this passes by ASAP, because it's a very critical year :\