Thread: Fingercuff Showreel

Default Fingercuff Showreel

Hey everyone,

After having a showreel which is over 3 years old, Fingercuff at long last now has a brand spanking new one. It features a lot of the shoots from the past year or so. The footage was shot on the Arri Alexa, AF101, GH2 and Sony Z1.

The work featured is a collection of short films (including some shots from my film Driftwood), promos, BTS shoots, music videos and some shots from our TV commercial that aired last year. We wanted to show that we've been moving away from the more corporate productions we cut our teeth on.

WARNING - One of the fashion shoots does feature a quite brief nipple shot incase you are offended by such things.

Hope you enjoy!

Driftwood - Available on iTunes - www.driftwoodfilm.co.uk

Follow me on twitter - @DirectorJWebber

Excellent Jim.

That's pure monster.

Cheers guys!

Blog Entries

Just to put in an alternate view.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingercuff View Post
    WARNING - One of the fashion shoots does feature a quite brief nipple shot incase you are offended by such things.
    I am offended. What's all this "quite brief" stuff. Next time please include "extended" nipple shots.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fingercuff View Post
    We wanted to show that we've been moving away from the more corporate productions we cut our teeth on.
    Which it does. It's a superb reel and very nicely edited together.

But what do you hope to achieve with this showreel? Who is it aimed at? Who is the potential client who is looking for a showreel like this?

It doesn't scream "we'll make your corporate videos stunning" because, as you say, it's moved away fom the corporate.
    Whilst there are wedding type shots in there, it's not really selling wedding videos.
    There are some model shoots in there that might appeal (but I've a feeling they show off your video skills rather than (a) the clothes/design or (b) the models. (
    There's no "music" video that I can see - the traditional outlet for creative video producer.

it just seems more of an advert for material produced by Fingercuff than and advert that might make someone wnat to want to hire Fingercuff.

That sounds dreafully harsh. Let's see if I can puit it another way. What sort of person, resopnsible for what sort of project is likely to see this showreel and think "They're the guys to hire".

It shows off what you've been up to really well, but it doesn't appear to be seeling your services.

In summary, a great reel/edit, but I see it as more of a vanity project than a sales tool.(Which, of course is fine if you want a record of where you wree at in 2013)
    Tim

I'd say an Ad agency would go for a reel like this. It shows a creative and very competent video production company to me.

Thanks for watching and the feedback Tim!

We have found ourselves doing really well in the artistic BTS video market especially for fashion brands & features films. This is primarily where it is aimed. Good word of mouth over our videos has lead us to further work. It's been annoying though not to have an updated reel to help us win clients (we mostly get jobs by showing our previous work). Midnight is completely right about Ad agencies. Driftwood in particular has opened a few interesting doors in this area and hopefully the reel will do the same too.

I can understand why you feel that it's more about our skills than the individual project because that is exactly our aim in creating the showreel: we are selling ourselves although I would disagree about the vanity aspect. If it was vanity I would have cut one ever other month and not left it this long! This reel is along the lines of big production outfits we respect.

There are a few music video clips in there but that is also something we have backed away from (although I wouldn't rule them out for the future). The footage that looked like a wedding, was a bridal fashion shoot.

We still do provide corporate content, for instance Disney are one of our biggest clients although none of that footage features in the reel due to the nature of the other content. We also work on a lot of charity videos. I do enjoy working on these projects but ultimately we are moving Fingercuff towards different pastures.

PS - Tim: if you want full unadulterated nipples , then you should check the full video on our Fingercuff Vimeo channel!

Blog Entries

If it works for you then that's great. I certainly agree with Midnight when he says it shows a creative and very competent video production company and I guess there's plenty of fashion stuff in there. I guess I was just surprised to see so much of your "own" material in a showreel which presumably is designed to get you work filming other people's product. But if you're getting work promoting feature films then of course this explains the mix. Thanks for the answer!
    Tim