Thread: Anamorphic composition and render

Default Anamorphic composition and render

Hi Guys,

I have been scouring the web for this but unfortunately did not seem to get a good understanding so I have to resort to posting my question and will be extremely thankful if you could help out.

Basically, I have to deliver a video for broadcast. Here are their format requirements:

output format: IMX50 anamoprhic, Pal, Video encode: D-10/ IMX, Audio Encode: PCM
    frame: rate: 25
    frame rate mode: Progressive
    resize: Active Picture: w- 720 h- 576, Frame Size: w- 720 h-608

Encode profile 50mbps Mpeg2 4:2:2@ML

Audio Profile GOP Structure I-Picture Only

This is my first time of delivering for broadcast and im panicking.

My composition settings are: HDTV 1920x1080, 25fps, Square Pixels.
    When I set my composition settings to DV Pal Widescreen my image gets squashed to 4:3
    Could you please have a look at the attached pictures whether my composition settings are correct (picure 1).
    The composition that I get is 4:3, should I render it as it is (picture 2) or scale it so it is widescreen (picture 3).

I do not fully understand what anamorphic is so could you please advise which one of these will be correct according to the resolution delivery requirements mentioned earlier. Which one of these is the correct 720x576 anamorphic and will be good for delivery?

Thank you

An anamorphic image has rectangular pixels compared to the normal square pixels on a computer screen. From their spec. they are wanting standard def. So, your out put or render settings of DV PAL Widescreen should be 16:9 aspect ratio. With a pixel aspect ratio of 1.46

I use Sony Vegas and would set the project settings to the same as the original footage and then set the render settings to PAL Widescreen.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the reply.
    So my exported video should look like picture 2 right? or with the letterbox like the picture 3?

I should look like picture 3. That is widescreen, 16:9 aspect ratio.