Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baa Baa Music Video

Default Baa Baa Music Video

I've just finished my first draft of this music video. I've worked really hard on it and I'm really proud of it, but I'm a bit frustrated that the band have told me to keep working on it. This was never meant to be the final cut, but I was sort of hoping it would just need a little tweaking from here.

Anyway, I could really do with some advice as to how to improve things. One of the band have told me they don't like the flickers of colour. He also said he doesn't like the shot of the mask flicking on and off him, (a shot that I really like).

I agree that the colour flickering on and off didn't work for me either. It's ok to mix b&w with colour but not in that way. I think seeing the face of the band member takes away the sinister mystique of why they are wearing masks in the first place.

I agree with MidnightBlue.
    If you have a suitable shot of a sheep's head, then might it be possible to replace the maskHuman/nomask with a maskHuman/realSheep?
    Due to the random appearance of the flickering colour, it reminded me of my old faulty TV. Instead of all the scene becoming coloured, would it look better if only some selected colours or areas became colourised?

Blog Entries

I'm not really sure what you're asking. You seem to think you're asking how to improve this video, but it seems to me you're really after validation of your own judgement.
    One of the band members has already told you how to improve it as far as he's concerned, but you disagree.

The band is the client and it's important to give them what they want. Presumably they want your ideas as well and you have provided them - but it is their decision whether to use them or not. That's your job. (Incidetally, how do the rest of teh band feel about those two issues? Don't change something on the basis of what only one has to say - unless, of course, he's the decision maker.

Personally I liked the occasional colour splash - however i do think TimA's suggestion of highlightng just one area or one particular highly saturated colour would be more effective.

In contrast to the others, I really like the flicking between the masked face and teh unmasked face. It felt very Pink Floyd or Strawberry Fields retro.

Not really my sort of music, but I really liked the video and thought it worked well with the music. However, I'm hardly the best person to advise on music videos (unless it's a feel good family Christams sing-along you're after)
    Tim

If this is a "Showreel" style demo then the Band will want to look good to get bookings - but for me the audio is distorted, then clearly this is not my kinda music. . . . I'm not sure what the animals oufits are for, either.

However, if this is to sell DVD's/CD's then it's their Fans that should be asked - if they like it, they will confirm this by Buying. So one Band member is quite possibly
    plain wrong . . .
    Last edited by vidmanners; 04-14-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I'm not really sure what you're asking. You seem to think you're asking how to improve this video, but it seems to me you're really after validation of your own judgement.
    One of the band members has already told you how to improve it as far as he's concerned, but you disagree.

The band is the client and it's important to give them what they want. Presumably they want your ideas as well and you have provided them - but it is their decision whether to use them or not. That's your job. (Incidetally, how do the rest of teh band feel about those two issues? Don't change something on the basis of what only one has to say - unless, of course, he's the decision maker.

Personally I liked the occasional colour splash - however i do think TimA's suggestion of highlightng just one area or one particular highly saturated colour would be more effective.

In contrast to the others, I really like the flicking between the masked face and teh unmasked face. It felt very Pink Floyd or Strawberry Fields retro.

Not really my sort of music, but I really liked the video and thought it worked well with the music. However, I'm hardly the best person to advise on music videos (unless it's a feel good family Christams sing-along you're after)
    That's interesting. I asked here because I want to make the best video I can, not because I want to make exactly what that band member wants. He's been negative the whole process, I'm not even sure he wants a video at all haha. It's been the other two that have been much more enthusiastic about the whole thing.

Either way I don't see it as my job to give the band exactly what they want, it's a collaboration. I'm not getting paid. I just want to make something that's good. I only want to make changes that I feel are best for the video so I'm trying to get as many opinions as I can. I know I still have work to do. Hopefully we'll all agree on the finished product

Oh and thank you for all the responses. This is a great place to share work. I know I dip in and out of it but I'll give back what I can in other threads.

I'd get rid of the masks -- people want to see emotion and the masks work against you -- if you are doing video then you need to use the medium

I'd also get rid of all the electrical equipment (i.e. try it unplugged)

Zam

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by foodage View Post
    Either way I don't see it as my job to give the band exactly what they want, it's a collaboration.
    But ultimately someone has to make a decision, someone has to be in charge. "Art by committee" doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by foodage View Post
    I'm not getting paid.
    Irellevant. You need to sort out betwen you who makes the decisions and takes the responsibility.

(BTW this is meant in a friendly way, although I realise it sounds like I'm shouting at you!)

I would normally agree with Zam's point - bu I make an exception in this case because we can see the mouth and the eyes of the singer which are the main clues to emotions (although we don't get as much as with a full face) and as TimA mentions the masks create a certain sinisterness (is that a word?).

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post - I really thing that when the vocals initially come in we should have shots of the singer singing. Not having this creates an immediate disconnect between band and audience (and it then feels odd when some of the later shots do show them singing)
    Tim

My issue was never that I don't know who is in charge or who should make the decisions. As far as I'm concerned this is my video and if they don't like it they don't have to use it. I have no interest in just doing everything they say if I don't agree with it. In that way it is completely relevant that im not being paid, because I wouldn't have that luxury if I had been hired to make their video. At the same time though, I care about what they think of the video, it has been a collaborative effort. Some of the ideas have come from them and some from me.

I agree with you that the singing thing is problematic. The male singer told me from the start that he didn't want to be shown singing in the video, which is why I have the shots of him "singing" wearing the sheep mask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast