Thread: Eagles and more

Default Eagles and more

Hi,

I went to Hungary last winter to photograph stills of eagles and the other birds, but I took some video footage and put together this short sequence.
    Please view in HD if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwbevDsLP9c

Very, very nice Will. Shame you didn't get the shot of the eagle catching the fish.

Was it a little too pale ? I don't know. I know it's fashionable to but was it just a little too pale ? May be just for my personal taste but it looks really nice. The opening shot in particular is great.

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Very, very nice Will. Shame you didn't get the shot of the eagle catching the fish.

Was it a little too pale ? I don't know. I know it's fashionable to but was it just a little too pale ? May be just for my personal taste but it looks really nice. The opening shot in particular is great.

Well done.
    Thank you
    It wasn't fishing it was washing its beak, when they fish they swoop down grab them off the water!

Not sure what you mean by pale? The colours look ok at my end?

I meant that you got a nice shot of the eagle eating a fish at around 0:50, it would have been great to have got him catching it first.

The colours look fine to me. What I mean by pale is the lack of contrast. Don't get me wrong I think it looks really nice as it is. It's just my personal taste to have things a little darker in the blacks. I'm always banging on about it and normally people just realise he's just a silly old git who needs to catch up with the times.

I meant that you got a nice shot of the eagle eating a fish at around 0:50, it would have been great to have got him catching it first.

The colours look fine to me. What I mean by pale is the lack of contrast. Don't get me wrong I think it looks really nice as it is. It's just my personal taste to have things a little darker in the blacks. I'm always banging on about it and normally people just realise he's just a silly old git who needs to catch up with the times.
    Ah I see! Apologies.
    This was all shot at a feeding station for the eagles so the fish weren't actually caught by them.

Oh okay - I will keep that in mind when next putting frames together and see how it looks with more contrast.

Thanks for your comments.

Blog Entries

Great shots. Like Midnight, I'd have liked to have seen a little more contrast - but you're the 'tog so you know what you're looking for.
    I thought the editing was good, cuts all on beats but not limited to the obvious ones. You varied the length of the shots and each one seemed to be held for the right amount of time. I never got fidgetty or felt I hadn't had enough time to take in a shot. Personally i found the cuts at 0:36 and 0:56 were between shots which were a bit too similar - verging on the feel of a jump cut. Others may not have felt that.
    One thing I didn't like was the music ending on an unresolved chord - it left me expecting a bit more (film and music). I would aim to edit the length of the music so that the music naturally ends where the film ends. If that is not possible to do in a manner that makes musical sense then trim and fade in at the beginning (ie trucate the start of the music - not the end). That's not advice, that's not the "correct" way to do it. I'm just saying if it was me that's what I'd do, thrown in for your consideration
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Great shots. Like Midnight, I'd have liked to have seen a little more contrast - but you're the 'tog so you know what you're looking for.
    I thought the editing was good, cuts all on beats but not limited to the obvious ones. You varied the length of the shots and each one seemed to be held for the right amount of time. I never got fidgetty or felt I hadn't had enough time to take in a shot. Personally i found the cuts at 0:36 and 0:56 were between shots which were a bit too similar - verging on the feel of a jump cut. Others may not have felt that.
    One thing I didn't like was the music ending on an unresolved chord - it left me expecting a bit more (film and music). I would aim to edit the length of the music so that the music naturally ends where the film ends. If that is not possible to do in a manner that makes musical sense then trim and fade in at the beginning (ie trucate the start of the music - not the end). That's not advice, that's not the "correct" way to do it. I'm just saying if it was me that's what I'd do, thrown in for your consideration
    Hi Tim,

Thanks for your comments.
    That about fading in the music so it finishes with the film is a good idea actually, I will try that next time! Thank you
    I know what you mean about the jump cut type feel, I just didn't have so much footage to choose from on the trip really as I was prioritising my still photography at the time.

I'm planning a big expedition to Cambodia for three months at the end of this year where I'm solely there to produce a film on the wildlife in the rainforest, so I will be taking all these tips into consideration when putting the final film together. I am, of course, still learning!!

I am, of course, still learning!!
    Aren't we all.

Aren't we all.
    Whenever I post here you reply so you must be the fountain of all knowledge...
    You don't know where I can get hold of a Glidecam HD-2000 do you!? Can't find anyone selling one. :(

I presume you mean second hand, as they are freely available HERE. Just to prove you wrong, that I'm not the fountain of all knowledge....

I don't know where you can get one.