Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should my PC be up to the task? - Video skipping/slow

Default Should my PC be up to the task? - Video skipping/slow

Hi All,

I've been browsing over the forum a few times in the past and have just signed up after frustration with skipping video while I'm trying to edit.

I'm hoping some of you can help me out with my PC and see if I can get it running smoothly. I am currently editing video from my GoPro Hero 3 black. I'm only recording 1080p at 24FPS. I'm using powerdirector 11 and when opening the vids, I have the preview screen set at medium (AKA blury!!!) and it is skipping like mad and freezing all the time.

Occasionally I have had simple playback skip a little as well.

What do you think of my PC? should this be up to the task of editing HD video from my Go Pro using Cyberlink Power Director 11?.....let alone when I want to start recording 60FPS or 2.7kp30/4k

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 32 Bit
    CPU - AMD Phenom X4 9750 - 2.4Ghz Quad core - specs: AMD Phenom X4 9750 - HD9750XAJ4BGH / HD9750XAGHBOX
    Ram - 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz - 32 bit only sees 3.25 useable
    Motherboard - ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N68-VM (AM2)
    Graphics - 1535MB GeForce GTX 580 (EVGA)
    HDs -
    112GB Western Digital WDC WD1200BB-00GUA0 ATA Device (PATA) - System drive
    932GB Western Digital WDC WD10EADS-00M2B0 ATA Device (SATA) - Video storage
    1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device (SATA) - General storage

I'm considering a new install of Win 7 64bit, but thought I would get some advice here on the rest of it before I do that.

Cheers,
    Sam
    Last edited by TURSTY; 04-11-2013 at 09:50 PM.

(Note - You did not state your CPU details.)
    Whilst 64bit will generally allow apps to run better, you won't get the most benefit if your NLE (Powerdirector) is still only a 32bit app. Indeed, I suspect that in some extreme conditions a 32bit app may actually run slower. OTOH, more apps can be left running without using RAM allocated to Powerdirector.
    Performance and Memory Consumption Under WOW64 (Windows)

You may find some guidance by examining the W7 'Resource Monitor' while you are using Powerdirector. The graphs may indicate where the current bottlenecks are. Perhaps the windows swapfile is under a heavy load because you are short of RAM, or perhaps the CPU is running at 100% for long periods.

Hi Tim,

The CPU was listed above, but Ive added a bit more detail now.

PowerDirector 11 is a 64bit program. Should I expect to see some decent gains with the 64bit OS?

I will take a look at the resource monitor tonight and see what it says. I have notised with Task manager that the CPU is sitting at 100% every time the video freezes up however. Is this a sign that I need a better CPU (and motherboard I would bet) or is there a bit more to it then that?

Thanks for the advice.
    Sam

I had a look at the resource monitor while editing yesterday and found a few things. The CPU was getting high, but not maxed really. The RAM had times where it was maxed out, same for the HDD as well. Keeping in mind the primary drive is an old IDE dirve, I think an upgrade to a SSD would be a goer (think I might be out of SATA ports on my mother board though). I also noticed that the Network was being fully utilised for some reason??

I bit the bullet and backed everything up and installed a fresh copy of Win 7 64bit to see how that goes. Will keep you informed no the improvments.

Hi All,

I have made a few changes to my system and software but still cant seem to get past this issue with video skipping/not catching up in the preview.

Here is the current setup:

OS - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit
    CPU - AMD Phenom X4 9750 - 2.4Ghz Quad core - 64bit - specs: AMD Phenom X4 9750 - HD9750XAJ4BGH / HD9750XAGHBOX
    Ram - 8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 400MHz
    Motherboard - ASUSTeK Computer INC. M2N68-VM (AM2) (sata II, not sata III compatable)
    Graphics - 1535MB GeForce GTX 580 (EVGA)
    HDs -
    New 256GB Samsung MZ-7PD256 840 Pro Series Solid State Drive (SATA) - System drive
    932GB Western Digital WDC WD10EADS-00M2B0 ATA Device (SATA) - Video storage
    1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0 ATA Device (SATA) - General storage

I have moved to Adobe Premier CS6 and am editing footage captured on a GoPro H3 Black in 1080p, 60FPS.

The video preview is at 1/2 res and it will play smoothly for about 3 seconds, then start skipping. If I pause the preview for a few seconds and restart, it catches up and plays smooth for 3 more seconds or so, then skips again.

Any ideas on what I should be trying here?

Yikes, that's a fortune spent on moving to CS6! How much has been spent in total on this rig?

Quote Originally Posted by Bpotter908 View Post
    Yikes, that's a fortune spent on moving to CS6! How much has been spent in total on this rig?
    Not much really?? All that has changed hardware wise is a new SSD system drive and a rebuild to Win 7 64 bit (which I already had). I also already had CS6 so just decided to use this instead of PD11 to see if this programe could handle the footage and better.

Blog Entries

What colour is the bar above the timeline? What are your sequence settings?

The bar above the timeline is red/orange for the first few seconds, then yellow. Sequence settings are below:

Blog Entries

Red means that the footage needs to be rendered to play back properly, yellow means the footage looks like it will playback, but it's not strictly compliant (for example it has a different extension to the one expected). I assume you applied an effect to the first clip? If you render (hit enter in your keyboard) does that part play back fine? Do you let cs6 chose the sequence settings? I.e right click on the video and select create sequence from clip?

Gopro offer free software to convert footage to something more easily editable for older editors. Have you tried this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast