Thread: Video editing tutorial - how can I improve?

Default Video editing tutorial - how can I improve?

I started this channel a couple of months ago with a goal: to make video editing tutorials that were simple, clear, and made with quality. I hope I've done just that!

Here's an example of one of my beginner tutorials.

How did I do, and how can I improve?

Blog Entries

I only watched the first bit but a couple of comments you may find useful:
    I liked the "Hello everybody..." intro. It gave you a recognisable character - beging all episodes the same.
    I liked the fact that you started by explaining what the tutorial was going to show in a short sentence (" ... how to do adjustment layers, transitions and masks") although I suspect you're only going to be scratching the surface of any of these - don't promise too much!
    What I thought it lacked was something showing the result of this tutorial at (near) the beginning. You should show what you are trying to achieve up front in a tutorial, not leave it to be a grand revealation at the end. This helps keep people's minds focussed on what they are trying to achieve rather than just blindly following instructions in a "can you tell what it is yet?" fashion.
    "This video is going to be I believe episode 5". Nooooo! People need to believe you know what youre doing. Be positive, be definitive. "This video is episode five"
    "Let's begin by expanding both of these". Always use the correct terminology. this makes it clear that you know what you're talking about and it helps the viewer become familiar with the jargon (which will, in turn, aid him/her in communicating with other AE users) So, if they are called layers (I don't use AE, but I suspect they are) say "Let's begin by expanding both of these layers" (and if it's real beginner stuff "... by clicking on these downward facing arrows in the layer header" (or whatever it's called in AE"

Hope these help ...
    Tim

For me, the most important part of a good tutorial is having clear audio and video, which you have, so we're off to a good start. Your voice is easy to follow as well, which is good. I would echo some of Tim's points as well though. It would be helpful to see the result of the tutorial near the start, so I know whether it's worth watching the video and to give me something to aim toward. I'd make sure you use specific terminology because it could get confusing for a beginner if you don't tell them exactly what 'these' are or whatever. But definitely better than the majority of tutorials I've seen.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I only watched the first bit but a couple of comments you may find useful:
    1. What I thought it lacked was something showing the result of this tutorial at (near) the beginning. You should show what you are trying to achieve up front in a tutorial, not leave it to be a grand revealation at the end. This helps keep people's minds focussed on what they are trying to achieve rather than just blindly following instructions in a "can you tell what it is yet?" fashion.
    2. "This video is going to be I believe episode 5". Nooooo! People need to believe you know what youre doing. Be positive, be definitive. "This video is episode five"
    3. "Let's begin by expanding both of these". Always use the correct terminology. this makes it clear that you know what you're talking about and it helps the viewer become familiar with the jargon (which will, in turn, aid him/her in communicating with other AE users) So, if they are called layers (I don't use AE, but I suspect they are) say "Let's begin by expanding both of these layers" (and if it's real beginner stuff "... by clicking on these downward facing arrows in the layer header" (or whatever it's called in AE"
    Quote Originally Posted by Substitute View Post
    It would be helpful to see the result of the tutorial near the start, so I know whether it's worth watching the video and to give me something to aim toward. I'd make sure you use specific terminology because it could get confusing for a beginner if you don't tell them exactly what 'these' are or whatever.
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I was hoping someone would actually do this

I numbered tim's points to respond to individually.

1. (Result at the beginning) Yes I know what you mean, and I had planned to do that for any tutorials where I was showing off a specific effect, the reason I didn't do it here was because the point of this series is to watch all of them in order and follow along regardless of the result. However, I am now realizing that's not a good idea thanks to your feedback, so I'll implement that next time! It would probably help with shortening the video too.

2. (I believe episode 5) Yeah, I knew I messed up when I said that, and it's the only time I've done that :P (Thought it made me sound personable so I left it in there and crossed my fingers)

3. (Specific terminology) Ah yes, I attribute that to my brain freezes while making tutorials . I guess if I spent the time to ingrain the words into my mind I'd do a better job saying the right term every time. Thanks for catching that.

I appreciate the feedback; but if anyone else wants to post I can use all the feedback I get

Quote Originally Posted by MMZephyr View Post
    my brain freezes while making tutorials
    There is no requirement to make the entire tutorial in one go; or to perform the voiceover simultaneously with the software demo. Viewers have no interest in watching whilst you make mistakes or watch unnecessary mouse movements. Does it really take 11 mins to explain this procedure? Would have it been quicker for someone to read a short web page describing the procedure - and also to have a link to the clip?
    I agree with many of earlier posters. I am sure you can do better. But I strongly advise not doing #6 until you have created a more compact format. Many demonstrators of software, for example, use a more obvious (and animated) Mouse icon to help viewers see what is happening, and close ups of significant parts of the screen.