Thread: Music Video - Storyline/Narrative - clear or no?

Default Music Video - Storyline/Narrative - clear or no?

LOST IT a Gully Jewelz Journey (
    I have had a few people watch and pick up completely on teh storyline and some say they didn't see any storyline at all.
    By now, I'm confused! Not that I can't re-shoot, but it just seems too wide a disparity on whether or not "MY" storyline is present.
    At this point, if someone SAW a story/narrative that wasn't what I had envisioned, I could rest easy.
    Would love your feedback.

I used Nikon 5100 DSLR with the "standard" 18-55 lens, Sony Vegas for editing/rendering and a few effects other than basic blending/cutting/splicing.

If it sucks, tell me... I plan to at least use these in a portfolio to get accepted in a videography production program.
    Thanks, in advance.

I wouldn't say it totally sucks but I did find it very frantic. This distracted from the music track and as the purpose of a music video is to promote the music that can't be a good thing. The visuals do kind of fit with the track but I think you went too far with the effects and lost any semblance of cohesion. As for the narrative that did seem kind of lost to me as well. It was something on the lines of formal religion doesn't do what it says on the tin so don't bother with it. Is that right ?

I'm sure, if you wanted, you could re-edit this video. Tone down some of the effects and it would be a better music video.

YEA your pretty close to the storyline.. not exactly what i had in mind but because the idea/message came to me as a result of an experience i had.. your take pretty much nails the basic points. so im cool with that.
    frantic? lol.. i can dig it... i havent gotten that "control" over effects yet so i always have a hard time "toning it down" .. i wuld want to try to re-edit.. but not having a tremendously clear perception of where i went too far i probably wuld end up making it worse lol...
    but i am hoping to "learn" more about that fine line between promotional effect and distraction effect
    I AM GLAD THAT YOU SAID THE VISUALS DO KIND OF GO WITH THE TRACK ....
    now if you or anyone else could make a few suggestions on where my effects went overboard.. i could make a better attempt.. i appreciate the time you took to view and comment though!

I'd cut down on the flashes at the beginning. Get rid of the over lay of the tree around 0:21-0:25. Get rid of one of the over lays around 0:50 the negative image to the left of the screen. Get rid of the chopped off over lay at 0:57. Too many colour changes when the woman starts to sing keep the green shade and the white but loose the pink. Loose the over lay at 1:25. Get rid of the over lay at 1:54. Loose the shaking around 4:00.

That would be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I'd cut down on the flashes at the beginning. Get rid of the over lay of the tree around 0:21-0:25. Get rid of one of the over lays around 0:50 the negative image to the left of the screen. Get rid of the chopped off over lay at 0:57. Too many colour changes when the woman starts to sing keep the green shade and the white but loose the pink. Loose the over lay at 1:25. Get rid of the over lay at 1:54. Loose the shaking around 4:00.

That would be a good start.
    I am definitely going to take all those under consideration. There is only one i feel kind of "married to" and its funny b/c most of the overlays were done last minute in an attempt to make the video "better" ...
    really do appreciate the time and advice!