Thread: Vegas Pro 12 Issue

Default Vegas Pro 12 Issue

For the last couple weeks, when rendering my edits through Vegas Pro 12, it will just stop. The elapsed time keeps going, but the frame number and % done completely stops. Then when I cancel the render, it does nothing. I ultimately have to go to Task Manager and manually stop Vegas. I also noticed that when this happens, it drops dramatically from 60 - 80% CPU Usage down to 2 - 4%. This happens 4/5 times now and is getting extremely frustrating. Anyone ever hear of this happening before?

PC Build
    Corsair CX600 V2 CX Series 600W PSU
    ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ Motherboard, AMD FX-6100 3.30 GHz Six Core AM3+ Unlocked Processor, and 2x ADATA Premier SRS 4GB Memory Module Bundle
    XFX Radeon HD 7770
    WD 1tb HDD Sata
    Thermaltake V3

OK, let's start with the basics:-

1] What Media are you using?

2] What settings do you have for your Project?

3] What Render Template are you using?

4] Where is your Footage stored?

5] Where are you rendering your output to?

Over to you.

Thank you for the quick reply, and sorry about that, I should give a little more detail I suppose. For just over a year now, I film live performances of local bands using 4 HD cameras, and up until a month ago, I shot all the footage in 720/30 and edited on Movie Studio 11. A month or so ago I upgraded my camera arsenal, adding two Cannon 650D's, and had a new PC built to be able to edit 1080p footage on Vegas Pro 12, so now all my footage is filmed in 1080/30. I have over 70 uploads on my channel, the latest few being the 1080p edits, and never had an issue.

Then I started to have this problem about 2 weeks ago, just sporadically at first, but on my latest project, I can't get through 1 rendering without this happening. For this project I used 5 cams instead of 4. The extra being an overhead balcony view, which is a Nikon L110 that only films up to 720p/30. I will cut that camera out to see if it makes a difference, though I don't understand why it would.

1. Camera Setup: (Filmed in 1080/30)
    Cannon 650D
    Cannon 650D
    Zoom Q3HD
    Nikon Aw100

2. I use the Match Media setting when starting a new project.

3. I use the MainConcept AVC/AAC "Internet HD 1080p" Template when rendering.

4. I store all my footage in a folder labeled "Video Projects" on my PC's hard drive, as well as an external.

5. They go to my documents folder when done rendering, as I normally do.

Well I tried taking out the 5th cam (the 720p one) and was able to render it 2 times in a row without it messing up.

So, my pc would overheat during the rendering process, which I thought may have had something to do with the issues I've been having. I ended up having a better CPU cooler installed along with a couple new fans, so now it runs super cool at all times, but I still have the same issue when rendering. The only difference is now it only freezes one time before I get a successful render, instead of 3 or 4 tries.

It's good that you have got some kind of resolution but it's still not as it should be.

If it's crashing like that you could have damaged your CPU when it was over heating, which is not good but I don't know this for sure which means it could be ok.

What ever your issue is it's one of those problems that is very hard to diagnose from a far. You did mention that you have some media on an external drive. If you take this onto the main HD it could help. The best set up is to have separate hard drives for you OS/programs and media. and then a third to render on to.

Good luck.

Thanks for the insight MB. Nothing else on my PC has any crash issues except Vegas. I had it installed from a buddy, so it may just need some kind of update or something. I am tempted to try to learn Adobe Premier Pro CS6, which is also installed on my PC to see if there are any issues with it as well.

I do put all the files I am working on onto my PC hard drive when editing, and then store everything on my external afterwards, but I would eventually like to get a SSD for the OS.

So far you have only mentioned about the crashing during rendering, which got me to thinking about a hardware issue. Rendering video is very taxing on your CPU so it will be interesting to do a test render with Premiere to see how that goes.

A SSD for your OS would be a great investment.