Thread: Codecs, WMM, AVI and h264

Default Codecs, WMM, AVI and h264

Hello,

I have a few questions, but first off: I'm terribly sorry If I'm asking something that's been asked before and has a really obvious answer. I'm new to this and I'm oblivious to the solution to my problem(s). I've tried searching for the solution, but only got some loose ends that didn't really solve anything.
    Now that that's out of the way..

I'm quite new video editing. I've done some very basic editing in WMM and I'm slighty familiar with converting (I use Freemake Video Converter which makes things very easy).

For an assignment for my school I have to use some video's I made in a presentation. I've done this, and some basic editing, in the past, but now I encounter problems..

I have shot these video's with my Samsung Galaxy S2 in a 720 x 480 size. The video format automatically gets saved in MP4.
    I don't think I'm going to need to do much editing so I wanted to use a simple program like WMM 2.6.
    Since WMM is not compatible with mp4 (right?) I converted the video's to AVI using Freemake. They all play without any problems using software like GOM Player and VLC.
    When I try to load the video's into WMM, however, it gives me the "[file] could not be imported" error.
    I've tried to use similar software like WAX and StereoMovie Maker, but I get basically the same message.

StereoMovie Maker adds the message that "the FOURCC code is h264" and it "cannot take a Frame Image Handle".
    SMM links to a list where codecs can be downloaded, including a codec for the h264 FOURCC code. When I download and try to install this, however, it doesn't solve anything.

After a few hours of searching I'm lost in a sea of terms and codes I do not understand.
    Therefore, I ask if there is anyone who recognises this problem or can help me otherwise.

Thank you,
    Tommy Visch

According to this Microsoft web page you can use mp4 files in WMM.

Oh, I was mistaken then.
    I guess something else is off then, because when I tried that, it didn't work either.

Did you scroll down the page to read the notes under the table of formats.

It is possible that by downloading every known codec and file converter app, you may chance upon a solution. But, here are a list of possible suggestions which may save time:

1) Use the most up to date version of MM available.
    Windows Essentials - Download Windows Live Essentials

2) The S2 is an expensive device. Seems a shame not to get the best results. I recommend buying a copy of Sony's "Vegas", and stop using Windows MM.

3) Get a view of the jungle of Video file formats and codecs. That may help explain why, for example, an "AVI" or "MP4" file may not run on all software.
    Digital container format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Video compression format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4) Download and use GSPOT. GSpot Codec Information Appliance
    The app will give a very clear view of exactly what formats and compression exist in the S2's video file.
    Then, it may become clearer why WMM won't load your file.

Thank you!

Using Gspot I found out what the codec name was (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC). I downloaded the codec needed and installed it. This changed nothing for WMM 2.6. It still won't recognize the .mp4 files and it won't import the .avi files.
    Since I have an older version of WMM, and I don't really want the new one, I am now using Avidemux. I had tried this (and other software like VirtualDub) before the new codec, but it wouldn't work then.
    In the new software I think it works fine. I'm going to dick around to be certain, but my hope is restored!

I still have a question though.
    When I load the .avi file in to Gspot it recognizes everything and it can tell me I have the correct codec installed.
    When I load the .mp4 file in to Gspot, however, it gives me the same name. Nothing changes (or I'm overlooking something), but now it says Codec Status Undetermined.
    Anyone now why this is?

Anyway, thanks again,
    Tommy