Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lavalier/Lapel Microphone Question

Default Lavalier/Lapel Microphone Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently looking into the Rode Lavalier/ Lapel Microphone. Seeing as I don't have a vast amount of experience in this field, I had a few questions for you guys.

I am getting more and more into the wedding business, and currently I am recording audio with a Sony wireless Bluetooth mic. My problem with this mic is the fact that it is large and hard to conceal, if it is concealed then there is a lot of disruption in the recordings due to moving clothing and such, so I am seeking to buy a lapel mic that is smaller, but still of great quality. My question is if I were to get this mic, how can I record with it wirelessly, since it doesn't seem to come with a receiver. Here is the link to the product on the Rode website, any help would be much appreciated!

RΨDE Microphones - Lavalier

Eh . . . You've kinda come to this, "front against backwards". IF you are going to be serious about doing weddings and the knowledge of just how important that this is, then rethink your whole audio capture philosophy. And here, for "philosophy", read "budget". There just ain't no substitute for getting the most appropriate kit to start with - PERIOD! I know, I thought I could do the same, yer just can't.

Buying the most appropriate audio kit for the job doubly underlines the old adage: "Buy right! Buy once!" My first Sennhieser wireless TxRx set up cost me +£300. I still have them and still use them, and that was +10 years ago. To this I've added a second set of TxRx plus a myriad of cables and lavs and hairy muffs. I buy new, and I buy 2nd hand. It may get a bad rep 'cos it costs, but Senni stuff just lasts and lasts and lasts! In fact I had an issues with a 2nd hand piece and it was repaired FOC!

Why have I written all this? Because I wouldn't want you to think you can substitute your well meant technical understandings ( how can I do this with this piece of kit SONY<>Rode), over just needing to buy the most appropiate tool for the job. It just ain't worth the agro, inconvenience and, ultimately, the waste of money.

Here's another thought: Newly-weds will be paying good money for your work. Don't get yourself into a position where you'd need to be squirming about on your sofa 'cos the audio was dodgy as a result of cobbled together, well meant "string and brown paper" option. My apologies if I sound harsh, but I can assure you it is my version of "tuff-love".

So, save, work, save, and build your "kit-purchase" budget. Oh, before I forget, one of my most surprising purchases over the past 3 years was an AudioTechnica, Table, Proximity mic. I plugged this into a Senni TX, which was secreted under the conference table. The output was truly remarkable. Cost? £23.00!!

Best regards

Last edited by Grazie; 03-30-2013 at 06:39 AM.

Blog Entries

I've got to second what Grazie has written.

You can spend ages mucking about with cheap kit, Chinese mics and cobbled-together mix 'n' match solutions only to find that it still doesn't do the job as well as you want it to.

Or you can avoid spending the money in dribs and drabs and put it towards a decent bit of kit from the start.

Second-hand Sennheiser, Audio Technica or Sony radio kits will not cost a fortune and will outlast any cheapo kits. They will also be more reliable and perform better. I'm still using and abusing Sennheier radio kit which is ten years old. If I work out the cost-per-job it comes to nearly nothing. Unlike cheap and tacky gear which has to be replaced regularly.

Oh, and Rode microphones are not the worst but they are not the best either and, if you are charging for your services, your customer is entitled to get value for their money.

Alright, I think I get the main just of what was being said and trust me when I say that I appreciate the "tuff-love". So from what I can gather, you're both suggesting Sennheiser and Audio Technical over Rode. I guess I'm willing to pay up to $400 CAN. So if you guys were to suggests decent starter kit, what would it be? Also, my question essentially from my original post was if I was to buy a lapel mic, then I would assume I would need a wireless transmitter and receiver and assuming that is the case, then what would you all suggest?

Thanks again guys!

OK, let's start over:

1] What do you want to record? And where?

2] How many operatives would be involved and what would they be doing for you?

3] What is your budget? Would you consider hiring?

4] How quickly do you need to capture the audio and with what restrictions would you be under?

I'm sure others could add to this list, but armed with your answers there is another totally valuable Forum you could sign up with and you'll be amazed with their responses.

1) This mic would be for weddings (ceremony and speeches). My current mic is too bulky, and hard to place without creating an eyesore in the pictures.

2) For now, just one operative. I usually set a still camera on a tripod, and I walk around getting more cinematic shots with a dslr.

3) Right now I have 3 packages ($400, $500, and $600). I am below my competition because they all have 2 operatives. So currently, no hiring would not be considered at this time.

4) I guess my only restrictions would be those you would find of a normal wedding. Where I was planning on buying one lapel mic, I was going to plant my current wireless mic on the altar / Booth while the priest speaks, and place the lapel mic on the groom. The new one of course. So I was looking for something of good quality, but nice and small, something that doesn't draw attention.

I've filmed weddings in all sorts of locations from marquees to Cathedrals and always cover sound at ceremonies and receptions with my Sennheiser radio mic.
    Presuming you have 2 channels of audio input on your cam, you can feed a radio mic to channel 2. Clipped to the grooms tie with the transmitter in his inside pocket - this picks up the clergy, bride and groom in excellent clarity.
    For the speeches I clip the radio mic to the top table flowere and hide the transmitter behind, or under the display. This picks up the brides father and groom perfectly and for the best man? If he's at one end of the table, I place my cam there with a shotgun mic on. If he's roaming, (I find out beforehand) He's clipped.
    Hope this helps.
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

London, England

If OP needs to consider "budget" that owning the best gear (or hiring) isn't going to happen - least not yet a whiles.

Since audio is very important, the next-best thing to do is to take a feed from the church-audio ( by being close to a speaker) - this may need a visit to an earlier ceremony to judge the levels . . . If the Church can provide a wire-connection then an Audio Recorder may do nicely - but watch file-length if recording in .wav

However, as a Pro; the cost of the right gear is tax-deductable and should give years of good service . . . . yet still one problem with micing the Groom is that he may fidget and introduce noise - so maybe this needs to be tested a few days beforehand.
    If he knows the Mother-in-Law will be listening( from the audio Edit) , that may do it.....or make it worse!

It's always funny listening to channel 2 before the bride's arrival. The groom soon forgets he's mic'd up and one comment I heard once (but obviously didn't include) was the comment as the Bride's Mother was coming down the aisle - "here she comes, mutton dressed as lamb" so funny!
    As the OP is looking for the best value solution, and least faffing about on the day, he'll find it all in the sennheiser radio mic. A simple check with the church sound system beforehand to make sure their radio mic's aren't on the same frequency clears the way for nice clear audio.
    In all the wedding ceremonies where I've had the grooms mic'd up, (400+) the 'rustling' just never happens. (1) he's advised beforehand not to fiddle with his tie (2) careful placement means nothing rubs on the mic - simples!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

OK, so I'm not quite sure if my camera has 2 channels or not. I have a Sony xr500v which I set on the tripod, and usually I connect my much to it. I did some research and I don't think it does have more than one channel. Now, I only have one battery for my dslr (Canon 600D), and because of that I don't want to set it down and have the batter run out without me noticing. I did not check how many audio channels it has, but I don't really consider it a viable option at this time since I need it to last all day around on 1 battery. Some of the churches I film at do have direct audio connects which I can take recordings from, but a lot of the Catholic chapels do not. I guess another question I have then is: Is there any such thing as a wireless receiver that can record onto a portable harddrive? This way I could just sync the audio in post production?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast