Thread: fade question Vegas

1. Default fade question Vegas

I have a background jpeg on one layer with a video layer on top of it. The video layer was shot on a green screen so it is chromakeyed leaving only the subject (person). Both are the same length with a fade in and fade out.

My problem is as the layers are fading in or out, the background layer can be seen "through" the person in the top video layer even though the fades are identical.

Is there an easy way to fix this?

Thanks

You could try making the fade in and out of the video event shorter than the jpeg event but the timing would be critical for it to look right. I don't know if there is another solution. As you know the problem is, during the fade you are making the person transparent so the software is doing what you told it to do. Could you use a different transition or a straight cut ?

3. Default

It calls for fades so a straight cut wont work... a transition might

Quote Originally Posted by bush league View Post
    It calls for fades so a straight cut wont work... a transition might
    Insert a New Track1 above all your existing work and in this new Track1, add a Generated Media Solid BLACK Event over the area of the required "fade" and THEN fade-in the Solid BLACK. This should do what you want.

Last edited by Grazie; 03-29-2013 at 08:48 AM.

5. Default

That doesnt help much, but thanks for the idea. That just seems to lengthen the time of the black portion of the fade, still leaving a few frames were the transparancy of the person track is still visable.

Quote Originally Posted by bush league View Post
    That just seems to lengthen the time of the black portion of the fade, still leaving a few frames were the transparancy of the person track is still visable.
    OK, then I'd need to see your setup, to ascertain just how much luminance (light) created by any chrominance (colour) was "creping-through". There will be a point where you can "kill it". Using the Black overlay has worked for me on many occasions. I'd just need to see where yours was peaking.

Interesting.

Blog Entries

Grazie, your solution works fine if you want to fade to/from black, but not if you want the composited scene to fade in over another shot (unless I've missed something - which would be par for the course)

Here's my solution:

Add a new track 1 above the two tracks making the composite.
    Fill this with Generated Media white for the duration of the clip(s) including the faded portions.
    Change the Composite mode of track 1 to "Muliply"
    Apply fades to the white gen med in Track 1.
    Make tracks 2 and 3 child tracks of track 1 (or any tracks below will not appear where track 1 is not white)
    Tim

No, you hadn't misunderstood. And yes, I was hoping to see our friend's Veg to explain the use of Compo tracks and Parent<>Child, if that would have been needed.

Using the WHITE is great for killing a lot of wayward levels & a Compo, with "Multiply" sounds just the ticket too.

9. Default

I will give this a try thanks guys!