Thread: Cable recommendations for newbie

Default Cable recommendations for newbie

Hi,

I'm new to all this but have been doing quite a bit of research before I take the plunge.

I am about to buy a canopus ADVC110 A-D convertor to allow me to get my VHS recording into my PC in digital format

As Im splashing out on an ADVC110 I want to keep the analogue signal going into the convertor as clean as possible.

I plan to use a switchable scart adaptor to plug into my VCR. From there I'll run S-video and 2xphono(audioL&R) to the advc110

QUESTIONs:
    1. Can anyone recommend quality cables for the s-video and 2Xphono (AUDIO) cables to minimise signal loss?

2. Do I also need to keep the cables as short as possible or will the loss be negligable even if I go up to say 3 metres?

any help is greatly appreciated

Cheers

pete

Keep the cables as short as possible and if you can, go for cables coated with 14K gold on the ends.

thanks for that. any brands you can recommend that have the 14k gold ends?

I cant seem to find any web reviews of cables at all - been hunting all over. any websites you know that review such things?

the brands ive been looking at are:-

QED
    Profigold
    IXOS
    THOR
    belkin pure AV (not the silver version)

thanks

pete

Well Belkins are surely OK, and there's also a German manufacturer, VIVANCO, much cheaper.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by svhs
    Keep the cables as short as possible and if you can, go for cables coated with 14K gold on the ends.
    I was intrigued to know why you'd keep the cables short, so googled the answer:

Mismatched impedance is one of the most common and most frequently experienced sources of signal degradation. This phenomenon occurs when a high frequency bandwidth signal, designed to be matched to a characteristic impedance of 75-ohms, encounters different impedances through its signal path (IE. Transmission Line), usually on the order of 35-ohm or 50-ohm for Home Theater applications. It can occur in long runs of video cables (> 1/10th the wavelength) that do not use true 75-ohm cables, or it can occur from the DVD player or the TV monitor, depending on the nature of their internal impedances. This mismatch can create a bounce back effect or reflection that results in a delay and/or loss of signal level for certain frequencies. Thus for component video cable, transmission line effects of any cable lengths beyond 3 meters (remember 1/10 of 30 meters) must be considered.

Source: audioholics.com

thanks for the info.

I had a reply back from canopus as well saying they recommend 6feet maximum for video cables.

there seem to be many options out there - bu I like the look of the pureAV silver range from Belkin - anyone had any experience with those?

cheers
    Pete

Pete: one thing to look out for - there may be a post on here somewhere dealing with it that I think I recall seeing recently, but I can't be arsed to go and look for it - is a potential issue using a SCART to S-video converter: did I read somewhere that you'll only get a monochrome transfer? Or was that in relation to a specific hardware/software configuration. Fyi, I use SCART to whatever they call it with the three RCA plugs, and it works fine (but maybe not of the quality you'd be looking for).
    Premiere Pro, Encore, Photoshop, Ulead VS6, WXP Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2GB, 2 x 250GB SATA3 drives, 2 x 250GB USB 2 external drive, DVD writer, GeForce 7300 GS 256MB

The biggest fool can ask questions that the wisest man cannot answer...