Thread: Converting 3GP file to AVI then to Mpeg (VCD)

Default Converting 3GP file to AVI then to Mpeg (VCD)

Dear all,

I have tried to convert 3gp file (from Nokia's cellphone video) using "3GP to AVI Converter" (Miksoft), the AVI file result was ok, in terms of video & audio quality but the resolution still same with the original file (176x144). Then I proceed to burn in into VCD format(PAL) with Nero 6, but the result was bizarre bcs the picture on the screen was all "inverted" & upside down, I mean if the picture was a car, then the tyres were on the top of the screen and the police number plat was seen "backward", I hv tried the burn in process 3x and the results were same "inverted", what was actually happened? BTW, the sound/audio was normal.

FYI, I have tried to use "TMPGenc Plus 2.5" software to convert those AVI into Mpeg file, but it seems that the AVI file encoded by Miksoft's converter was not readable by TMPGenc. I also hv Ulead Video Studio 8 which also cannot read/play those AVI files encoded by Miksoft. Is there any "format incompatibility" in AVI file encoded by Miksoft? but why is that my "VCD Cutter" software & Microsoft Windows Media Player can read/play those AVI file?

BTW, before I hd ever tried to convert those AVI file to Mpeg(VCD), using IMTooMpeg Encoder, I tried 2 times in different ways, in the 2nd time I directly convert from 3GP into Mpeg, the results in both ways were ok but without sound/audio!

So, is there any other software alternatives for me if I want to convert 3GP -> AVI -> MPEG ?

Thx u 4 ur help.

Just found out the answer 2 my problems, it seems that AVI file encoded from 3GP file by Miks's software is indeed a "special" AVI file bcs it must be re-encoded to another AVI file format using the freeware called "Virtual Dub" http://www.virtualdub.org/index . The AVI file produced by this Virtual Dub are readable/playable with any standard Mpeg/VCD encoder.

So my problems apparently solved.

Thanks for posting your solution anyway, hopefully it might help someone else out!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by donlot
    Just found out the answer 2 my problems, it seems that AVI file encoded from 3GP file by Miks's software is indeed a "special" AVI file bcs it must be re-encoded to another AVI file format using the freeware called "Virtual Dub" http://www.virtualdub.org/index . The AVI file produced by this Virtual Dub are readable/playable with any standard Mpeg/VCD encoder.

Are you sure vbub doesn't support 3GP?

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Quote Originally Posted by donlot

Are you sure vbub doesn't support 3GP?

Apparently not yet, bcs I found this solution (using V Dub) in Miks' 3GP to AVI Converter website FAQ, otherwise it will be ridiculous that Miks' promotes somebody's else software which has same function with their sw.

So far, the most "popular" software which can convert 3GP directly to Mpeg/VCD format is ImTOO Mpeg Encoder (and Xilisoft 3GP Video Converter, sw with different name but the same menu contents!, just wondering that they previously from the same company then broke up?), but still has some audio problems.

I just wondering why is that nobody makes the no-fuss 3GP converter,
    there are 1.054 billion GSM cellphone users around the world, if 1% of those numbers use 3GP enable cellphones, it's a very huge market.

Blog Entries

I had a chat with a representative from a video editing software company the other day about the very same thing. It may not support it now, but take a look at 3dedit from tenomichi: http://www.tenomichi.com/

Default 3GP Video

I use video converter
    you can download it at www.videoconverter2005.com