Thread: Couple of questions.

1. Default Couple of questions.

Hi all,

Shortly, I will be working on a film which is due to be filmed in July. I have a couple of questions which i'm not really sure about and I hope you guys can help...

Firstly, the film is a kind of road trip film which will involve exterior car shots, some close, some distant. My concern is the showing of registration plates....is this an issue? or should Inot be too worried about it. I did plan on having some fictional plates made up and just hanging them over the cars original plates, but being on a public road, this will surely conjour up all kinds of illegalities. At the moment, the plan is to try and film the car shots without showing the plates, this will be tricky with close ups though. So, is there a trick that I am missing or am I making a bigger deal of it than I should?

Secondly and lastly, it is an audio related question. How is it best to film exterior shots, eliminating wind noise, I will be using a Canon XF100, so should I be connecting an external mic to create a boom mic rather than just using the cameras in built mics or is there a better option.

Thankyou for your time and help.

Sean.

Blog Entries

If the vehcles belong to people involved in the film and they have no objection, why should showing the plates matter? Assuming they have the legal right to use the vehicles of course?

As far as eliminating wind noise goes, you almost certainly won't. If you stick a mic out of a moving car window I suspect even a zeppelin won't cope.

I'm sure others will come up with better ideas, but if I had to do this tomorrow and couldn't come across better advice, I'd record the sound of moving vehicles from within one, through an open window, pointing at the other car. You'd need to experiment with positioning so as to get the best sound, but basically what you are avoiding is any wind directly on the mic. Clearly this would work best with a shotgun type mic. Dub the audio onto the footage in the edit.
    Tim

3. Default

We will be using my own car...The reason I asked is that sometimes on tv programmes, they blur out the reg plate.

And as for the audio, sorry Tim, I didnt explain very well....the exterior shots will be of the car passing by and conversations between the actors.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by in2oblivion productions View Post
    And as for the audio, sorry Tim, I didnt explain very well....the exterior shots will be of the car passing by and conversations between the actors.
    Sorry, still not clear - do you mean the actors will be standing roadside having a conversation or in the car having a conversation.

If the former, unless it's very windy a "dead cat" on a boom mic should do the job (or a couple of lavaliers with furry covers if you can conceal them). On camera will probably not be good enough as you need to get the mic very close to the actors to reduce the background noise.

If the latter, you'll need a separate recording device in the car.

Hope that helps
    Tim

5. Default

Thanks guys.

Yes, the exterior shots are not from moving vehicles, just stationary shots of the actors in dialogue. I am just concerned about wind noise making the audio sound unprofessional, so just wondered how the experts achieve wind free dialogue.

Blog Entries

As Tim wrote. A bit of fur on an external microphone.

Your camera microphone will tend to pick up a lot of wind noise. The solution is to stop the wind reaching the microphone which is done by placing something between the wind and the microphone which stops the moving air but not the sound waves. Rycote and Reinhardt.tv are the two most common sources of windshields.

Oh, and Paulears is wrong. The reason car registration plates are blurred is to comply with the Data Protection Act. If the vehicles are owned or in possession of people who are identified with the vehicle and they give you permission to store the data, you do not need to blur the plate.