Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Progressive and Interlaced footager in one Project: Best Practise?

Default Mixing Progressive and Interlaced footager in one Project: Best Practise?

Hi, I shoot most of my footage with a Gopro and all the output is progressive. I transcode all my footage in Cineform and conform it all to 1920x1080 but leave the frame rates ( could be a mix of 25/50 and 100 and slowmos) as they are. I set my project in Movie Studio to 1920x1080 progressive @25fps. Sorry, forgot to say I am using Movie Studio Platinum 12. I always render to Main Concept HD 1080 Internet using 2 pass VBR at an average of 8 MB since my videos are mainly played on a PC and uploaded to You Tube. I also own a Sony Handycam and the highest quality outputs from that are AVC HD 1080/50i. ( 1920x1080). On occasion I need to integrate footage from that together with my progressive Gopro footage in the same project. I have to say regardless what I do, footage from the Handycam, is not a patch on the Gopro output with low levels of contrast and saturation but most annoying of all a seeming inability to capture any movement clearly. I can deal with the contrast/saturation and have been experimenting to see how to get the best results within Movie Studio. I appreciate that my judgement of the footage is based on what I see on a PC media player ( VLC) and in the Movie Studio preview window rather than on a TV. VLC produces the best player results with Yadif set as the deinterlace mode...which of course is not an option in MS. I am not sure what MS does in background, but since my project is set progressive I assume it is automatically deinterlacing the AVC HD clips ( presumably using Blend). When I check project properties I see that Field Order is set NONE and Deinterlace is set BLEND. I note however that besides the project property you can also access properties per event ( right click). When I do that I see the settings are Upper Filed First and the pixel size is 1.333 rather than square! I have tried changing all of these and cannot see any difference! Setting Resample to Smart for the interlaced clips does seem to make some difference however ( compared to disable). OK so after all that my question is, what is best practise here to get the best resulta from the interlaced clips in among my progressive footage? Thanks.

When you render the project all the differences like the pixel aspect ratio of the different media will be be taken into account during the render by the codec and will all become what ever the render settings are. Sometimes mixing certain different bits of media can be an issue but you should be fine with the settings you have with your file types. One thing you could experiment with is the deinterlace method in the project properties. Try setting it to "interpolate fields", I'm not saying it will be better but might be worth a try.

If you are having an issue with the Sony camera footage this is down to the camera. I don't know if you can shoot at 50fps with it, if so that will help you to capture motion better. Other than that I'm not sure what you can do.

Thanks for your reply. The camera has 2 1920x1080 modes and 2 1440 x1080 modes with the difference between them being the data rate but all are described as 1080i ( i.e 50i=25fps). I think you are right. It is the lack of a faster frame rate ....I have been spoilt with the gopro's 1920x1080 at 50 fps.....every single frame is crystal clear! I am not getting ghosting or jagged edges with the interlaced clips so I suppose it is as good as it gets on that camera.

Blog Entries

Mikerb, any chance you could put some carriage returns and space in your posts? These are very difficult to read and I'm therefore less inclined to do so.
    Tim

Default Love to!

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Mikerb, any chance you could put some carriage returns and space in your posts? These are very difficult to read and I'm therefore less inclined to do so.
    Hi Tim, I would love to but for whatever reason it will not let me!

Ok..had a play with settings
    and
    I
    can
    now
    use
    return!! sorry about that but I am owed a serious number of carriage returns. This is now the Standard editor. I was on WYSIWYG....default? I recently changed to IE 10 so maybe that is not compatible with
    WYSIWYG.

Mike

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    Ok..had a play with settings
    and
    I
    can
    now
    use
    return!! sorry about that but I am owed a serious number of carriage returns. This is now the Standard editor. I was on WYSIWYG....default? I recently changed to IE 10 so maybe that is not compatible with
    WYSIWYG.

Mike
    LOL! Cheers Mike!
    Tim

What would be nice now is to find a way to enable IE 10 to pick up my login user name and password, like it does for every other site I have to sign into!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    What would be nice now is to find a way to enable IE 10 to pick up my login user name and password, like it does for every other site I have to sign into!
    Seemed a bit odd so I thought I'd download Internet Explorer 10 and have a play. Time for a carriage return. Did that work? No! Same issue as mikerb - off to check the settings. I'm typing this isn the standard edtor here's another CR No that didn't work either. Off to try "Go Advanced" So now I'm in the advanced editor. Here comes a carriage return. Zap - no - Still on the same line. Hmmm... On the other hand I have no problem getting it to remember by login between sessions.Tim
    Tim

Blog Entries

Any idea what setting you changed to allow Carriage Returns?
    Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast