Thread: Help with basic editing

Default Help with basic editing

Hi all,

I record long (around 8 minutes) one-shot videos from a remote controlled aircraft, on a GoPro (HD 3, Silver). Editing is very hard for me, as I am not sure how the good guys do it. Can someone tell me how you would go about it? I usually grab maybe 3 minutes from an 8 minute film..

I usually drag the whole video onto the time line, and then play it... and then split where I want to cut... So I have a while lot of splits. I then have to go through them again and see what I want and don't want... Takes ages.

Is this the best way, or are there more better methods? Like, using the trimmer? I can't see how to cut from there...

Also, I want to stablise just one area of the video... so I cut and place the bit I want onto the time line. But when I go to effects and stabilise, it only allows me to stabilise the entire 'source' video... not just the section I selected. Is that normal?

I'm running version 12 of Sony Movie Studio..

I guess it depends how much footage overall you have to start with. I usually have about 13 clips amounting to maybe 1 hour or more. I start byqueing them up in my media player and then playing them whilst I make notes. I note where the good bits are ( using the timing track). I use these notes to decide on a clip sequence for the video and also start to think about how to construct the overall video. I will probably have a note of some complete clips that can be disposed off not necessarily because they are bad but maybe the same or similar footage is already in another clip. Obviously I reject clips or parts of clips that have problems...poor light, sun in the camera, water on the lens, mounting has slipped etc. I use Cineform as a first stage so I can import the clips I want to use and sub clip them in line with my notes. If I have used different camera settings I can also make them all conform to the resolution and format I intend to use as for my edit project ( i.e. all 1080/16:9). I can also create any slowmos I want to include. These intermediate files are then imported into MS. MS should now have a pretty easy time of it. It is dealing with the least amount of raw footage, it is edit friendly avi format and all in the same res/framesize. It may only have to deal with a mix of framespeeds plus of course my edits and the Cineform meta data. I also have a pretty good idea how I am going to contruct the video using a simple storyboard created from my notes.

tried to reply but the wretched timer got me . . . a quarter page dowen the drain.

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    tried to reply but the wretched timer got me . . . a quarter page dowen the drain.
    This issue was discussed here.
    http://www.videoforums.co.uk/forum-a...to-logout.html

It might be a good idea to do the "basic editing" of one's message in a word processor and copy/paste one's edited text.
    Esp. if it turns out to be a quarter page long, the message in the message may well come out better.
    Sorry you lost your work though, didn't auto-save help any?

Quote Originally Posted by Cralis View Post
    Also, I want to stabilise just one area of the video... so I cut and place the bit I want onto the time line. But when I go to effects and stabilise, it only allows me to stabilise the entire 'source' video... not just the section I selected. Is that normal?
    I'm running version 12 of Sony Movie Studio..
    Cralis,
    an enlightening thread on the subject here
    sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/ShowMessage.asp?ForumID=4&MessageID=844384
    Don't click, but copy and paste the link and see if the tips there help you.
    Last edited by vkmast; 03-17-2013 at 10:38 AM.