Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Off Target | Secret Agent Comedy Sketch

Default Off Target | Secret Agent Comedy Sketch

Hi guys

I'm back with another short film.

Synopsis: Intel delivers top secret information of the whereabouts of the criminal Michael Beech to Mi6's best agent. He must track and take down the target

I'd love to know what you think

Regards

Cal

Blog Entries

Technically good, nicely edited, exposure, composition, sound etc fine but in my opinion it was let down a bit by the acting and the pace.

I think it should have been edited tighter, not so much breathing space between shots. It loses tension because it's a bit loose.

The "victim" should have been a bit more shocked, angry or confused.

But I like the idea and like the way it was filmed.

Thanks very much buddy.

I very much agree with the acting. I'm not going complain about it but yes we weren't under ideal circumstances unfortunately.

Hopefully you got a chuckle out of it somewhere

Did you notice that all the audio was ADR?

Blog Entries

Yes I did but only because I can be a bit picky about bad audio.

In my opinion it's more important to be able to hear and understand the speech than to get all anal about "realism".

The ADR was done well and didn't detract from the film.

I suspect that this was made by people who are into video, rather than people who are into storytelling and drama. Unfortunately it shows. What you need to do is get the acting right first, then film it. It doesn't matter how technically perfect the film is... Just remember that "content is king".

I agree that content is key! I have a Bsc in Film production so I'm very technically minded and do focus more on the image than the acting. That's why I try and cast 'good' actors so they require minimal direction.

I spoke to a director buddy about my film this morning and he said very similar things. 'Technically the video is well made and the script is well written, but the acting stops the film being a festival worthy entry'

This is where I've reached a bit of a plato and I need to find good reliable actors to star in my films. Joe, the lead, is amazing and a great guy to have on set (I just wanted to clarify that)

I thought the main actor was ok but agree with Rob about the rest. There is also a couple of ambient dropouts at 1:31 and 1:34 also the ADR doesn't really work for the lady who comes in at the end.

I like the story line and thought there was a couple of funny moments.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ctbullet View Post
    This is where I've reached a bit of a plato
    That's very philosophical of you ...

(I'll get my coat)

Sorry, it;'s sticking at the moment - will watch later.
    Tim

Has Virgin Media gone down hill since they sold it ?

Blog Entries

I liked it.

OK. I thought the actors themselves were OK. If there's any fault it's with the directing. The "victim" didn't look shocked, but he didn't look like he was acting "shocked" badly either. He simply wasn't acting "shocked" and the director should have picked up on this. This is a common trap that I fall into all the time - you spend time directing the shots and forget to direct the actors.

Unfortunately (and in direct contrast to Rob) I felt the ADR let it down. I agree content trumps all, but I find anything that looks out of sync is a massive distraction, so much so that I cannot concentrate on the action.

I thought it was funny and I'd like to see it re-shot. Or at least dubbed better.
    Tim

Blog Entries

Looking at it again I have to agree with Tim that there are a lot of issues with the ADR which I didn't notice on the first look. (In my defence it was on a laptop at the small youtube screen size and speakers, as well as on a bad broadband which kept pausing as it buffered.) So, although I like the fact that you can understand what's being said, the audio does need a lot more work than I originally noticed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast