Thread: HD to SD and vice versa

Question HD to SD and vice versa

Alright here is my problem. I did a video for a local business and used one of their cameras as well as one of my own. They had an HD and I had an SD. I am wondering if there is any way, after shooting, to either make the SD more HD or the other way around. I am trying for uniformity here mainly.

You could put the HD footage in on the time-line and render it out in SD, that's the easy part. Trying to make the SD in the HD probably won't be a very good result. I have included SD footage in a predominantly HD time line, I just increased the contrast a bit and pretended it looked alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    You could put the HD footage in on the time-line and render it out in SD, that's the easy part. Trying to make the SD in the HD probably won't be a very good result. I have included SD footage in a predominantly HD time line, I just increased the contrast a bit and pretended it looked alright.
    Sounds like a plan. How does one go about doing that in iMovie 10?

I don't know I use iMovie. Have you ever done any editing before ?

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I don't know I use iMovie. Have you ever done any editing before ?
    I have been using iMovie for the past 5 or 6 years intermittenly. I used Final Cut Pro very briefly before that and have recently used Windows Movie Maker and realized it is a glorified Powerpoint program. I am currently using iMovie version 10.

Sorry I meant to say I don't know I don't use iMovie. BUT it should be quite straight forward to do.

I have mixed SD and HD footage on the same timeline in Movie Studio......I imagine it would be the same for any other editor...you just import them both. Whether there is a huge difference in the
    outout video is more dependant upon how good the SD footage was in the first place. I rendered it all to HD. SD footage can look perfectly OK if the image is slow moving, the light is very good and the
    camera used is half decent. At the end of the day you have a mix of a higher and poorer quality video so you either have to live with that or use it to your advantage. On way to do that is to use the SD footage as a special effect.....go black and white or sepia or some other FX. Have the HD footage as tripod mount , professional whilst the SD shots are POV....put some frame movement in them.