Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One Second shots

Default One Second shots

Just to enter a Vimean challenge....

Blog Entries

I'm afraid I found the music worked against the images here. It really emphasised the repetitive effect of the one second cuts which seemed rather harsh for the relaxed content of the images. I also felt that the cuts came just a fraction behind the beats.

I note you used Kevin MacLeod's music - I'm not sure this qualifies under their rule "If you add music, use a song you've created or something from the Vimeo Music Store. " (Just thought i'd mention it as this would be an unforunate way to be disqualified)
    Tim

I have not tested it, but suggest that the emphasis arises because the music may be at 120bpm (or 2 beats per second). Thus, the editing would always occur on the 1st and 3rd beat of a 4/4 bar.

Wow, you guys are sharp (on the good side I mean).... Yes, the cuts happen exactly 0.1s after the beat (was proposital, as the other way was not good - at 2am things may appear different anyway!!). And yes, there is an out-of-tempo adjustment. I edited following the peaks on the music track, not the exactly size of the clip. Some will be 0.2s shorter or larger than others....I guess.... But Ill be back to it now, as my editor just came back from far far wasteland after VKMASTs help....

Tim, youre right about the risk of using music not listed at the Vimeo Music Store.... But hey, "se hay govierno, soy contra!!"

Back from re-work.... timing adjusted on some transitions. Looks better I hope. Thanks Tim(s).

I forgot to say:
    Whilst there are 2 beats for each clip, the music could be in 4/4 time, thus 4 beats to the 'bar'. It puts more stress on the first 2 beats then on the last 2. That could affect which clips go where, as it may be useful to think of of the clip as being in groups of 2. e.g: the close of the manuscript ( 0:13) could reflect the first 2 beats; and the 'music on the wall' (currently 0:15) could have been used for the next (to reflect the final 2 beats in the 4 beat bar).
    Perhaps all this is probably nonsense; because it would all start looking very contrived and robotic.

Not sure if I understood well..... You mean moving the clips half-way "right" to get the second strong notes on the bar? In case you mean inserting extra-clips every half-bar, don't forget that there is a "rule" to be followed for the challenge, where the clips must be 1 second long.

(this serves me right for even mentioning it)
    I am only referring to the order of the clips, not their duration. I am not good at explaining music theory. "4/4 time" relates to having 4 beats in each bar. In this music, there is more stress given to the 1st and 2nd beats than to the 3rd and 4th. Your clips lasts 2 beats; thus you have 2 clips in 1 bar. So, only alternate clip gets the stressed beats. My dumb suggestion was to harness that when choosing the order in which the clips get shown. Visually, you may only be thinking of 2 beats; but musically there are 4; so two of your clips make a complete bar; perhaps with one clip more dramatic than the second.
    I have a feeling I still have not explained myself. I wish my music teacher from 40 years ago was here!

Oh, ok....understood! Two clips/bar, where the second beat is less strong than the first.... And I can put (for example) an open plan on the first and a detail on the second.... PERFECT!!!!! Makes all sense. And I (of course) didnt think on that on the first place.... Hummmm....its a short file; guess Ill have another playtime after the house gets silent at 11pm!!!

Is this tune in 4/4 time ? Sounds odd to me. What ever it is I think it's the wrong tune for the piece. Very nice shots but they go out of sync. which may or may not be a bad thing, I don't know. It might be good to have a cut on the beat but when each clip only last so long this might not work. It might be ok for a bar or two in a music video but all the way through, I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast