New Version of DivX Video Introduces DivX Media Format, One-Step DivX Converter; Offers Wide Support from Industry Partners
SAN DIEGO--June 15, 2005--DivX, Inc. today announced the launch of DivX 6, the next version of the company's patent-pending digital video technology. DivX 6 is a high performance multimedia technology that enables anyone to create full-featured, highly-compressed, interactive media files for playback on a range of DivX Certified devices, including DVD players, portable media players and more.
DivX 6 products are available to consumers in two bundles. The DivX 6 Create Bundle includes everything users need to create and play high-quality DivX files, while the DivX 6 Play Bundle offers all the tools necessary for high-quality playback, including new high-definition enhancements. Both bundles are available on http://www.divx.com
In addition to offering significant improvements in compression, speed and visual quality, the release of DivX 6 introduces the new DivX Media Format, which enables users to create a complete home entertainment experience with advanced, interactive features. Key features of the new DivX Media Format include:
* XSUB(TM) subtitles enabling users to create video files with multiple language subtitle sets.
* Interactive video menus for unprecedented convenience and control to quickly navigate between various scenes or bonus features, and select from audio track and subtitle options.
* Chapter points to provide maximum flexibility, allowing users to jump straight to individual scenes from anywhere within the video.
* Alternate audio tracks enable audio tracks in multiple language versions or separate audio tracks for specific speaker configurations
* XTAG(TM) video tags contain descriptive information like title, author and the video specifications used in the file's creation to streamline organization
* The .divx file extension clearly identifies content in the DivX format for guaranteed playback on any DivX(R) Certified device
"DivX 6 offers a transformative digital media experience for consumers, content providers, consumer electronics manufacturers and multimedia software companies -- with better performance, visual quality and wider interoperability than any other video technology on the market," said Jordan Greenhall, founder and chief executive officer at DivX, Inc. "Most importantly, users will be able to create video files with new DivX features that are interoperable with millions of DivX Certified DVD players and other devices."
The release of DivX 6 also introduces the new DivX Converter, an easy one-step video application that lets consumers create high-quality DivX files from a variety of sources. DivX Converter is available as part of the DivX 6 Create Bundle. The DivX 6 Create Bundle and the DivX 6 Play Bundle are available for download on www.divx.com
About DivX, Inc.
DivX, Inc. is a consumer-focused video technology company positioned at the center of multimedia convergence. The company's core offering is DivX (R) video technology, among the world's most popular video compression technologies with over 200 million users worldwide. The patented DivX video technology offers DVD-quality at 10 times greater compression than MPEG-2 files, enabling full length films to easily fit on a CD or be delivered over broadband connections. DivX video technology powers a range of applications that span the convergence value chain, from a secure IP-based video-on-demand solution to next-generation consumer electronics products and video software applications. DivX, Inc. is headquartered in San Diego, California.