Thread: MS12 Not working: Help Please

Default MS12 Not working: Help Please

Hi...hoping someone can help me here. I have MSv12 which was working fine until I downloaded an Avid DNxHD codec and Handbrake in order to try to a workflow process for upload to You Tube. When I loaded MS12 to check it had picked up the new codec the "Render As" function merely locked the application. I removed both new downloads....no change....I went to a system restor point that pre dated those downloads...no change. I de installed MSv12 and reloaded from discs.....no change. Rebooted and removed MS12....rebooted and reinstalled MS12...no change. What I have also noticed is that when I re install MS12 from the disc it does not appear in my Start/program list with the normal Icon...it now has a white icon with 6 small icons on it...too small to see more. Everything else on the application appears to work and all other apps on my PC appear to work OK. Any ideas?

mikerb,
    have you tried uninstalling the disc version and installing the latest downloadable version from Downloads > Updates on the SCS site?

...thanks for your reply. Yes....I went through a complete trawl of Sony related files including all the MS Visual C+++ and .net files and deleted them all as well doing a deinstall via control panel. Then used the download rather than the discs and ran that....same result again! Clearly it is not my software disc or the download that is at fault here( I turned firewall off to download and run). The only other thing I can think of is registry entries...and I am a bit nervous about going there cos I have never done regedits before....plus the MS advice on Registry seems to be that it should not need messing with. so I am now at a loss with this one!

Did you reinstall the Microsoft .net 3.5 (on application disc) ? QuickTime 7.6.x or 7.7.x (not the most recent versions)?

Quicktime is there. Re MS.net 3.5.....I can see the file in the extras section of the MS12 disc but what do I do with it? Do I just copy it to c:programs or is it executable from the disc? The file does not appear in the list of programs in control Panel although I can see a MS.net folder in c:\windows. There is a sub folder for 3.5 but not sure if the files in that folder are complete.

@vkmast....cheers mate ...you were right. Reinstalling it was not easy however. The file on the install disc did not work it appears, and the download options from the MS site were daunting...about 15 different versions X86/X64...various dates etc! I took some advice about which one to download from the tech support for my PC. you get a choice of a bootstrap or the full nine yards....I did both! anyway it immediately worked even though MSv12 was still installed. So a few hours of pain but I guess it is worth it to know that MS v12 ( and other versions) require the exact .net version, not just the latest ( I could see .net 4 on my program list), and the application uses it whenever it needs to compile a page with data outside its own program file...e.g. templates/codecs etc. The 2 functions I could find that did not work were "render as" and the Save file to PC option in "Make Movie". Everything else appeared to work. Thanks for your help...............very tired now!

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    So a few hours of pain but I guess it is worth it to know that MS v12 ( and other versions) require the exact .net version, not just the latest ( I could see .net 4 on my program list), and the application uses it whenever it needs to compile a page with data outside its own program file...e.g. templates/codecs etc. The 2 functions I could find that did not work were "render as" and the Save file to PC option in "Make Movie". Everything else appeared to work. Thanks for your help...............very tired now!
    Excellent.
    This quote from another site also may help to understand this
    Mailbag: Do I need still need older versions of the .NET Framework on my system after installing the .NET Framework 4? - Aaron Stebner's WebLog - Site Home - MSDN Blogs
    In general, my recommendation is to leave the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2, 3.5 SP1 and 4 installed on your computer. Unlike previous versions of the .NET Framework, the .NET Framework 4 does not allow an application that was built with previous versions of the .NET Framework to migrate forward and run on it if the previous version is not installed. If you are using any applications that were built with any version of the .NET Framework before version 4, then I recommend leaving both the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 and the .NET Framework 4 installed.
    You cannot use the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 unless you also have the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.0 SP2 installed. Therefore, you will not be allowed to uninstall the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 or 3.0 SP2 if you have the .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed. If you try to uninstall the .NET Framework 2.0 or 3.0 when the .NET Framework 3.5 is installed, their uninstall processes will block and tell you that they are needed by another application on your system.

hey that explains lot!!..It explains why I went around the block a few times and I now understand the reasons why some of the things I did...which were on the right track...did not work! I assume the file provided by Sony on the install disc is just 3.5.....which is of course totally useless if you do not already have 2 and 3. I had read the bit about 4 not being backward compatible somewhere. Again thanks for your help