Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New music video with animation

Default New music video with animation

The last video I posted here received mixed reviews because we didn't show the singers face, (which was because we couldn't).
    So for our latest production we went a completely different route and used a small amount of live footage plus animation hope you like it. All constructive criticism welcome.

Thanks

Dave

I found this quite interesting...

I like the music
    The animation was good, but the lip-syncing...
    This was the main problem, I thin this could be improved. Maybe next time you could give the Lego person a bigger mouth to allow for more movement etc.

Well done! Keep going!

JMG

Thumbs up

Ohh... and I liked the idea of the mix of real life and animation.

JMG

Quote Originally Posted by JMG View Post
    I found this quite interesting...

I like the music
    The animation was good, but the lip-syncing...
    This was the main problem, I thin this could be improved. Maybe next time you could give the Lego person a bigger mouth to allow for more movement etc.

Well done! Keep going!

Thanks, yes the lip syncing of the animation wasn't perfect, but that is very, very complex to do and I'm only a beginner at 3D studio.

Blog Entries

I can imagine this took a tremendous amount of time and effort to create. For that you have my respect! One idea, and forgive me if this is far from easy, is to integrate the live action and animation. When I saw the shot of the drums after the piano, I thought it would be great to have the lego keyboard being played in the table behind. In fact it would make the video look extremely polished if keyboard was always chroma keyed in to th shot (even if that's just the wall, or that you see a drumstick in the distance).

Blog Entries

I loved seeing the piano being built. I know you did a bit more of the same later (like the lights) but if you built a whole video around more and more "things" being built that all go to make up one big thing. Perhaps not with this sone (though I realise the step by step, one by one significance) but with a song which perhaps start with just piano, then voice, then a bass, then guitar, etc mre instruments come in. But don't kust build instruments build a large table with a mixing console on it, build a stage around/under the band, biuld a lighting rig. Then a lighting control console - and some ttents around teh outside, build a festival! (OK I got carried away).

What did you use to animate this. Is there some Lego animation software or did you use something like Blender and import pre-existing models or even create the models yourself?

My one negartive would be I thought the intro (the Lego character with the pitch shifted voice) cheapened it.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    I loved seeing the piano being built. I know you did a bit more of the same later (like the lights) but if you built a whole video around more and more "things" being built that all go to make up one big thing. Perhaps not with this sone (though I realise the step by step, one by one significance) but with a song which perhaps start with just piano, then voice, then a bass, then guitar, etc mre instruments come in. But don't kust build instruments build a large table with a mixing console on it, build a stage around/under the band, biuld a lighting rig. Then a lighting control console - and some ttents around teh outside, build a festival! (OK I got carried away).

What did you use to animate this. Is there some Lego animation software or did you use something like Blender and import pre-existing models or even create the models yourself?

My one negartive would be I thought the intro (the Lego character with the pitch shifted voice) cheapened it.
    Hi Tim
    I agree there is a certain fascination in things building themselves out of lego. We did want to go down the route of building more things. We tried with the drums but being round they don't lend themselves to building with lego (real or otherwise) without increasing the scale (number of bricks) which would exponentially increase the work and processing power required. I must admit I hadn't thought of the mixing desk... darn have to remember that one next time.

The whole thing was modeled and rendered in AutoCAD and 3D Studio max, there are some lego based animations out there but they don't have the sophistication needed for the lighting and other things we were doing. Each block had to be modeled and then timelined to drop in in sequence. Which is a lot of work, I think the piano had several hundred blocks. Hence my reasoning for not increasing the scale too much.
    I take your point about the introduction, it was a personal joke to do with the original (private) youtube posting of the draft version. A lot of people still think it's funny so I guess it's just a personal thing.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters View Post
    I can imagine this took a tremendous amount of time and effort to create. For that you have my respect! One idea, and forgive me if this is far from easy, is to integrate the live action and animation. When I saw the shot of the drums after the piano, I thought it would be great to have the lego keyboard being played in the table behind. In fact it would make the video look extremely polished if keyboard was always chroma keyed in to th shot (even if that's just the wall, or that you see a drumstick in the distance).
    I completely agree, we were trying to keep this relatively simple this time, though it might not seem like it. Getting the animation and real video to match up can be very trick, especially since the lego is so small (it's modeled to true life dimensions) so getting the camera lenses to match is a challenge.
    Having said that we have another video planned which will mix real life and animation much more so watch this space.....

Quote Originally Posted by MYTOYROCKBAND View Post
    Thanks, yes the lip syncing of the animation wasn't perfect, but that is very, very complex to do and I'm only a beginner at 3D studio.
    For a beginner this is amazing!
    How long did you spend on the animation? I looked like it took some time!

JMG

Quote Originally Posted by JMG View Post
    For a beginner this is amazing!
    How long did you spend on the animation? I looked like it took some time!

It's been in production for about 2 months, so I'd guess about 50 or 60 hours of work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast