Thread: Best quality file type to convert to from .m2t to then edit in Premiere 5 on Mac?

1. Default Best quality file type to convert to from .m2t to then edit in Premiere 5 on Mac?

Hi there,

I've recently had a breakthrough and managed to get my mpeg streamclip to convert .m2t files. I now want to edit the footage in Premiere CS5 but am not sure of which conversion and compression to go for to obtain the highest quality files to edit... Do I convert to Quicktime, AVI, MPE-4? And what compression do I choose after choosing my file type to get best quality?

Thank you

Use .avi if you don't mind the file size. If an .avi is too big go for the least compressed file you can, ie the biggest file size is a reasonable guide to this.

....yep, .avi
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

4. Default

Thanks for your replies! Is this definitely the case on MAC as well as PC? I've heard .mov is good for mac? .avi is best? If i convert to .avi (in mpeg streamclip), it then asks me what compression I want... there are many, with DivX Codec being the default. Could you shed any light on which compression is the best quality too? (there does not appear to be an option for 'no compression'...

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by tikitony66 View Post
    Thanks for your replies! Is this definitely the case on MAC as well as PC? I've heard .mov is good for mac? .avi is best? If i convert to .avi (in mpeg streamclip), it then asks me what compression I want... there are many, with DivX Codec being the default. Could you shed any light on which compression is the best quality too? (there does not appear to be an option for 'no compression'...

Thanks very much
    The MOV format is developed by Apple Inc., the advantage of MOV files is the ability to contain abstract data references for the media data. That means that they can be easily edited - no need to rewrite all media data after editing.

If you are running a Mac, converting mts to mov format certainly can be used widely on Mac OSX. But i dont think there is a big different between avi and mov.

You can also try convert the file to a mp4 format.