Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Yin & Yang

Default Yin & Yang

A bit experimental for me. I should add that this is just the first concept stage. It's not a finished piece but I wanted to test the waters before committing more time.

Yin & Yang - YouTube

EDIT: The video below is the most up to date version, I'll leave the older ones for those who are interested in seeing the evolution of the project.

Last edited by Midnight Blue; 03-13-2013 at 09:34 PM.

I found that very interesting to watch. I could see that many of the side by side shots complemented each other (e.g. slugs + road traffic); but some seemed to have less relevance (the blue flow + moon behind tree). I am not sure, but I might like the 2 frames separated by a thin black border; I could see some effort was made to frame the shots so they looked good side by side; but I am not sure if they look their best immediately next to each other. I liked the 'blending' shots towards the end because they looked pretty. I think I recognise some of the shots from your 'early morning get out of bed' shoot and your 'standing in the freezing street' shoot. At some points, I wanted to see the same location (ie at 2 times of the year), but appreciate that kind of trick must be planned way in advance.
    It had lots of lovely images (as I have grown to expect from MB's work).

Thanks Tim. I've already put a thin line between the two sides. I'm also experimenting with shape an some movement. I appreciate not all the shots are immediately obvious Yin & Yang and some may need to be changed. If there are any that you think are just not right together please speak up as it's easier to change at this stage than later on when I've got all the masks etc. done.

Blog Entries

I think this is an interesting concept and it sounds like you're already thinking about some of the things I might have suggested, like shape and movement.
    Some of the shots looked much better together than others. Even though the African snails and the speeding night time traffic were obvious Yin & Yang and the shots individually are great, I found their juxtaposition just didn't work. It is entirely possible that by splittend them horizontally rather than vertically they might work. I simply don't know.
    I also thought there was far too much day/night - and specifically too many night skies and moons. or maybe there wasn't and it was down to the sequencing of the clips.

I must admit, I thought this was a "proof of concept" and once happy with the potential you were going out to shoot material specifically for it, so my comment was going to be that I think this has much potential, but you have to be very careful about the shots you use.

Another example of images that don't quite work toghether - the rocks and the church at 30 secs. Now these are great shots and I love the way they are both shot looking upwards - really striking images together. But look at the center of the (double) frame. From the right we have a nice build up and up of the church to the tower and then it drops down below the frame of the camera. The Right hand image similarly builds up to the tall rock but it is just chopped off by the edge of the frame. It's so nearly right, but completely wrong!

I think it's going to be quite a feat to get not just the subjects but the composition right, but will ultimately be very rewarding. You can have shots where the "shape" of the image on both sides matches, shots where the shape is a mirror image, shots where the image is an invesrion - you can do that with colour or light/dark as well (eg light centre dark outside in one image, dark centre light outside in the other). Contrasting shapes might also work.

How about action - happiness/sadness, hatred/love, anger/content, fighing/peace, work/play, birth/death the possibilities are endless. But maybe that's for another day.

But you've certainly inspired me to think differently.
    Tim

I like multi-frames a lot, as well as the "opposites" idea... Of course you´re testing with material you already have, but it opens the book in search of specific material...what is great!!! Here are some links to videos I like a lot on the multi-frame universe; hope you find inspiration there too:

I once found one where a guy used old 8mm videos on one window and present day videos on the other....but both shot at exactly the same locations, with the same people, 30 years later (said the guy...). Was great, but I can´t find it at Vimeo now.. :(

Blog Entries

Those are fantastic Tony. Thanks for sharing. Be inspired Midnight!
    Tim

Cheers guys. I got my original inspiration after listening to a Peter Greenaway lecture. I think this kind of project can go one of two ways, either I'll get bored and give up or it will last for ever and never be finished. I do see it as an evolutionary thing but I know I get bored easily. It already looks very different to the one posted. Mostly the same clips but lots of masking etc. I might post a draught copy if you are interested.

Some of the Yin Yang choices are not just about happiness/sadness, black/white etc. I also looked at things like wide shot with long D of F/close up with narrow D of F.

Also I have found I some of the choices was very subjective. (=rubbish)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I also looked at things like wide shot with long D of F/close up with narrow D of F.
    Ahh a bit more of it makes sense now. But would the average Joe appreciate this (even the likes of us didn't!)
    The beauty of something being subjective is that the rubbish is in the eye of the beholder!
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Ahh a bit more of it makes sense now. But would the average Joe appreciate this (even the likes of us didn't!)
    May be on a very deep subconscious level.

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Those are fantastic Tony. Thanks for sharing. Be inspired Midnight!
    Glad you liked.

Cheers guys. I got my original inspiration after listening to a Peter Greenaway lecture. I think this kind of project can go one of two ways, either I'll get bored and give up or it will last for ever and never be finished. I do see it as an evolutionary thing but I know I get bored easily. It already looks very different to the one posted. Mostly the same clips but lots of masking etc. I might post a draught copy if you are interested.

Some of the Yin Yang choices are not just about happiness/sadness, black/white etc. I also looked at things like wide shot with long D of F/close up with narrow D of F.

It´s a good idea, and it will be fun to give more and more sense to it.... Don´t get bored. Writing your daily ideas will surelly turn into something interesting.

I watched a part of the lecture (very good), and here is one about a great project running right beside you there in UK: Beeban Kidron: The shared wonder of film | Video on TED.com

May be on a very deep subconscious level.
    Drugs used to help a lot on this field when we were young....

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast