Thread: Setting recommendations

Default Setting recommendations

My girlfriend and I just picked up a couple Cannon t4i's and are new to DSLR's. Any recommendations on settings? Here's a short test video I whipped up today for an example.

Have your settings the same as your video cameras. ie manual everything. Shutter speed should be set to double the frame rate.

Blog Entries

Default Setting recommendations

The Internet is full of copious amounts of bullshit about DSLR video. You need a serious bullshit filter to make sure you don't waste time and money.

There's a LOT of forum chat about lenses out there. What's the best, what you need and people generally arguing about what produces the best result. My advice is to first borrow a lens which covers a large focal range. Now take that lens and start framing shots at various zooms. Note what you use most and buy a prime at that length. For me, that's 28mm. Now decide what range you need to cover. For me that,s generally upto 50mm, and then I skip to high zooms. This gives me a nice range. I also use a 16mm lens where I want to track someone whilst walking backwards. Finally, try and get a lens with IS.

Secondly (and again not settings related), get used to the weird form factor. I tend to hold my left hand under the lens with the camera between chest and neck height and my arms tucked in. I also like to have an external monitor, but this isn't always an option.

As for settings, if you're not used to manual, you'll need to understand how things change by making adjustments. It's not a science as different settings affect the same thing. Fundamentally, you're looking at a light/quality trade off. You can let the camera control this, but it may prioritise one over the other, which will dictate your look.

Just a few quick thoughts for you!

Thanks for the info MB & Marc. So how does the example video above picture look in your opinion. (I will be using the cam to shoot video only too, and mostly live band performances)
    Last edited by Prolifik; 03-04-2013 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prolifik View Post
    does the example video above picture look in your opinion
    IMHO, some of the white dog's face (and the snow) appear overexposed. (e.g. 0:23, where his nose has a huge white area without any detail).

I agree with Tim about it being over exposed it's also to contrast so as well as loosing detail in the whites you are loosing detail in the dark areas. Does your camera have an option to reduce the contrast during recording ?

Yes I can. I will try it today with a change in settings. Should I use the polarizer lens attachment for bright environments like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Prolifik View Post
    Yes I can. I will try it today with a change in settings. Should I use the polarizer lens attachment for bright environments like that?
    I think this would be a good idea.
    I mainly use a polarizer for outdoor shoots like that.

JMG