Thread: Editing an apparently encrypted DVD - Assistance required!

Default Editing an apparently encrypted DVD - Assistance required!

I've just been supplied by a TV production company with a DVD R of a TV programme which I appeared on as a child. I would really like to edit the programme down to the 10 minutes for which I was on-air for but the disc appears to have been encrypted. I've been trying to use Windows 7 Movie Maker to edit the video but it is only allowing me to access about 2 minutes of the 30 minute show. When I play the DVD on my laptop or on TV i get the full show ok but when I open the DVD in my D:/ drive although I can see various files (listed below) I'm only able to see the very limited footage using Movie Maker. Would welcome any advice on if and how I can edit the DVD footage. Also is there any other software which I can use to edit the footage. Hope sometone can help!Files listed on the DiscVIDEO_TS.BUP (12KB)VIDEO_TS.IFO (12KB)VIDEO_TS (34KB)VTS_01_0.BUP (36KB)VTS_01_0.IFO (36KB)VTS_01_1 (1,048,018KB)VTS_01_2 (860,374KB)

Files VTS_01_1 & VTS_01_2 are the video files. You could try copying these onto your Hard drive to see if that helps BUT if they are encrypted I'm not sure what you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by jgalilee View Post
    Would welcome any advice on if and how I can edit the DVD footage. Also is there any other software which I can use to edit the footage.
    You can edit the footage, but not if it is encrypted. I'm afraid this site cannot help you with the decryption.
    But if/when you have the footage on hard drive (video_ts and audio_ts folders), you can use e.g. Movie Studio Platinum 11 or 12 to import on the timeline (as *.mpg) and edit as needed. To import to MSP need to Click File / Open, then navigate to your VIDEO_TS sub directory and enter *.IFO in the File name input field. For a regular DVD you will see a VIDEO_TS.IFO, and a VTS_01_0.IFO. Select the VTS_01_0.IFO file and click on Open. (the "Gary James method" @SCS forum)