Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visit to BBC media City (Geek Fest)

Default Visit to BBC media City updated

Our video club arranged a visit to BBC media city this last Thursday. I wasn't sure what to expect but the visit
    far surpassed any expectations i did have.

We had a tour of the news rooms, control room, from the news studio watched the 6.30 news and weather as it was broadcast live.
    outside broadcast news man Andy Cooke gave us a talk on his camera rig, incidentally, he is a one man camera crew these days. The rig weighed an absolute ton.... i was knackered after just two minutes !!!

Most surprising thing i learned is weather girl Diane Oxberry Dianne Oxberry - YouTube does not use autocue but memorizes her weather reports and the studio its self has just 5 people on floor. 2 news presenter, 1 weather presenter, floor manager, 1 cameraman. (3 cameras are robotic, operated from the control room) i counted about 10 people in the control room. i have lots of footage to upload later today.
    Last edited by enc; 03-05-2013 at 10:50 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

I love this kind of geeky thing. I can't wait to see the footage.

Lol!!! You and mr stannard would have loved it !!
    Last edited by enc; 03-06-2013 at 03:14 PM.
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Lol!!! You and me stannard would have loved it !!
    I would indeed. Many congratulations to whoever at your club managed to arrabge this.
    Tim

ok part 1 is uploaded. not for technical appraisal as i know its rubbish, its main aim is for members of our club who couldnt make it on the night to watch. i thought some on here maybe interested.

i shot random clips, mainly on my phone as and when i could.

i must say the Beeb were amazingly accommodating as to what we could shoot... pretty much everything was game!

Part 1 ...

Thanks for posting this en, It's fascinating to see what our licence payer money goes on. I feel sorry for the one poor tech guy in the gallery who is responsible for the studio lights. 2 remote cameras and the outside broadcast signal feel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    I feel sorry for the one poor tech guy in the gallery who is responsible for the studio lights. 2 remote cameras and the outside broadcast signal feel.
    Whilst training someone!

What I found interesting was how low the ceilings/lights were. Whener I've been to a recording it's all been very high. I giess that's to make room for studio audences.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by TimStannard View Post
    Whilst training someone!

What I found interesting was how low the ceilings/lights were. Whener I've been to a recording it's all been very high. I giess that's to make room for studio audences.
    Did you hear the comment about every light in the studio being able to run off one 13 amp fuse ?

Quote Originally Posted by enc View Post
    Our video club arranged a visit to BBC media city this last Thursday. I wasn't sure what to expect but the visit
    far surpassed any expectations i did have.

We had a tour of the news rooms, control room, from the news studio watched the 6.30 news and weather as it was broadcast live.
    outside broadcast news man Andy Cooke gave us a talk on his camera rig, incidentally, he is a one man camera crew these days. The rig weighed an absolute ton.... i was knackered after just two minutes !!!

Most surprising thing i learned is weather girl Diane Oxberry Dianne Oxberry - YouTube does not use autocue but memorizes her weather reports and the studio its self has just 5 people on floor. 2 news presenter, 1 weather presenter, floor manager, 1 cameraman. (3 cameras are robotic, operated from the control room) i counted about 10 people in the control room. i have lots of footage to upload later today.
    Wow, I love this kind of thing!
    Next time you can expect to see me there!

Wow, really good! What a nice building! The control room looks just like my secondary editing room here at home!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast