Thread: Dcp

Default Dcp

I just got an email (see below) from my video club saying that people who use PPro or FCP should attend their seminar about something called "Digital Cinema Packages".

Do you guys know anything about this, and more importantly, do you think this could be worth me spending 30 crispy samolians?

With the evolution of professional video to file based capture systems, the presentation of our digital work has run into a new hurdle. How do we preserve the high quality of our digital shooting and post work on into the presentation/projection stage?
    Digital Cinema Initiatives, LLC (DCI) was created in March, 2002, as a joint venture of Disney, Fox, Paramount, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal and Warner Bros. DCI's primary purpose is to establish and document voluntary specifications for an open architecture for digital cinema that ensures a uniform and high level of technical performance, reliability and quality control.
    DCI has established a standard called Digital Cinema Packages (DCP) which has become the standard for theatrical digital film projection. The studios have announced that they will no longer supply film prints to theatres, only DCP hard drives. Film festivals are beginning to ask for work in DCP format.
    We have obtained the software to produce DCP output for presentation and archiving of digital video. In this seminar, we will discuss the workflow from NLE project to creating the proper video & audio output for DCP to packaging the various elements of the video and assembling them for distribution.
    (NOTE: We work with the open source software - OpenDCP - which at present does not allow encrypting your video with a key file for copy protection.)

I went to a talk last year about this sort of thing. It's kind of interesting from a techy view but it's aimed more at larger producers of material than us. I have also found that this will become obsolete soon as 4k is going to become the new HD. If I remember correctly DCI is only 2K but I could be wrong about that, it's all a bit vague to me now.