Thread: Final Cut Express version for Power PC mac, and more...

Default Final Cut Express version for Power PC mac, and more...

Hi

I was thinking about doing a little video editing (nothing too grand but I like a few timelines to see what's what), and just looking at my options.

Soooo, I have a G5 PowerMac 10.5.6 dual 2 ghz with 2GB ram. Quite a nice machine in its day.

I have iMovie and might use that (but I'm not very experienced with it and I find it a bit 'odd'), but I'm also wondering about buying Final Cut Express - probably secondhand as I see that it has been discontinued. Wondering if anyone can advise what version I'd need to run on my PowerPC - I gather 3.5 is a universal binary, but 4.0 isn't. Could anyone confirm this please as I'm having trouble checking it. And would my Mac run it reasonably?

And you think that's old: my other option (don't laugh) is to fire up my old G4 machine, and run my old Cinestream software (which came after Edit DV, which I rather liked but which got discontinued) under the old OS 9.1. Always worked OK when I used it in the past, although not sure that Mac will cope with my 16:9 monitors.... On balance probably not ideal!

Finally, I also have a bottom of the range, off the shelf, MacBook Pro bought last year (not with vid in mind): I'm assuming that wouldn't have enough oooomph to feasibly run Final Cut Pro X or whatever the current Apple product is called now? Can't remember the specs off hand.

Cheers

PS why does it say "Windows Movie Maker" under my name above?

I edited on someone else's G5 with Final Cut express 7 before I think, can't say for certain it was 7 and not 6.

As for your macbook pro question
    Just to prove it could, I saw a guy during a 80 person tech demo whip out a 4+ year old "office" macbook pro and cut together some footage on FCP-X. With the ability to create optimised media AND proxy files FCP-X can happily run on your macbook pro.

I'd get FCPX straight on that Macbook Pro. Another alternative is to get used to iMovie on it to see what you think, then if you decide to buy FCPX you can open up your old iMovie prejects and events in it.

If your running older hardware/software with modern frame sizes/resolutions/codecs you will likely have more problems than you would running a modern machine that may not seem as powerful but has more modern architecture and code built/wrote for what today is throwing at it.

You may find working with proxy footage helps if your running from your system drive, or getting heavy from an external drive. Minimum firewire 800 will do you wonders. Your main issue would be that your running, I'm assuming, minimum RAM, but it's still faster RAM than your older machines.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by david walsh View Post
    I'd get FCPX straight on that Macbook Pro. Another alternative is to get used to iMovie on it to see what you think, then if you decide to buy FCPX you can open up your old iMovie prejects and events in it.

If your running older hardware/software with modern frame sizes/resolutions/codecs you will likely have more problems than you would running a modern machine that may not seem as powerful but has more modern architecture and code built/wrote for what today is throwing at it.

You may find working with proxy footage helps if your running from your system drive, or getting heavy from an external drive. Minimum firewire 800 will do you wonders. Your main issue would be that your running, I'm assuming, minimum RAM, but it's still faster RAM than your older machines.

David.
    Thanks for the advice. FCPX sounds good and I think I read there's a trial version so may give it a go before saving up. The MacBook Pro is this one with 500 gig HD. Is the fact that the disk speed is only 5400 an issue for FCPX - or indeed for iMovie? Guess I could get an external drive to store media via FW, although I'd need to also use the FW port to import from my ancient camera via good ol' tape. Maybe the FW devices can be hooked together so both can be used at once?