Thread: MSPlat12: Can't trim start and end off a video

Unhappy MSPlat12: Can't trim start and end off a video

I have an MP4 file that's 720x404 and I wanted to do what I thought was the simplest of operations. I dragged the timeline slider to a point in the video and did a split. I then deleted the first video clip. I then dragged the slider again to a point and did another split and deleted the last clip. So I'm left with basically the middle third from the original video. That is now my complete video. I wanted to do just a quick save. No such simplicity was possible.There seems to be no concept of just saving the file in it's current format/dimensions/codec. I had to choose from one of the pre-defined templates. There was no option to make a new template using the settings of 'this' video. An annoying stop to have to do, but I'd only have to do it once, but no, I couldn't do it.Solution: Quit MS, fire up WinFF, select a start time (split point), and a duration (second split point), and click go.

It's true that Sony Movie Studio does not "trim" clips in the sense that e.g. the Sony software PMB uses the word trim. That is, cut the unwanted parts in start/end and save the clip as a new file. Movie Studio edits a project file and not the original source files.
    CreativeCOW

Movie Studio 12 certainly trims events (i.e. clips on the timeline) and you can save the project file. V.12 even has as new features simplified edge trimming as well as Trim and Split main toolbar buttons.

I understand what you mean but you must realise that you have edited a piece of video so you have to render it out. There is a way to speed up the rendering so it would only re-render the bits you have changed in your case the beginning and the end points. So long as the project properties match the original footage and the rendering options all match the original footage ie same size, frame rate, bit rate etc. exactly it will only take a moment to do a render for a project like this.

All you need to do is make sure the option box on the general tab of the preferences is ticked called "Enable non re-compress of long GOP rendering".

An other option is to use a program called VideoRedo which is made to just top and tail a video file.

Thanks for the suggestions. I already have two programs that make trimming a bit from the start and end of a video easy (VirtualDub (for AVI files only) and WinFF (for any files)). I was hoping that I'd be able to get a one-stop-shop paid solution that does everything.Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum has certainly not lived up to expectations. Time to move on to another trial. I think I'll give Ulead Media Studio a go next.

UPDATE: I've given up on Sony Movie Studio, there were too many things it doesn't do. If I'm gonna pay rather than use a free program, I expect it to do more than the free ones. I'd say they spent too much time making fancy features I don't want, and missed out on the basic things I did want. If I still have to use all the separate free programs prior to loading a video in, or having to process a video after it's been output, then it's not fit for purpose.I've unsubscribed from this thread.

That's what the trials are for. Good luck with your search for the software that does the things you want.

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    That's what the trials are for. Good luck with your search for the software that does the things you want.
    Oops, forgot to unsubscribe.I'm already loving Corel Video Studio ProX5. Only been using it 10 minutes and it looks perfect so far. It read in .avi encoded with XviD, it properly speeds up or slows down clips, when saving a modified video you can choose to create the output video using the project settings or you can choose "same as first clip". It couldn't be more perfect (for me) so far

Quote Originally Posted by dd990 View Post
    I'm already loving Corel Video Studio ProX5. Only been using it 10 minutes
    Must be love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    Must be love at first sight
    I believe so. I spent 30 minutes or so with it and it did everything I asked of it. I've got 29.9 days of trial left and I'm already thinking I might just buy it already now. That'd be dumb though. Gonna give it a few days more. All depends on what you're doing of course, and how you might expect certain features to work. On this one I look and think "if I right click there that'll probably give me the option to do what I want" and invariable it has with this one. Never had to go near the help.