Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brand new in the indusrty

Default Brand new in the indusrty

Hi.

This is my first post, so I would like to say hi to everybody!

I've just started my new business venture in the wedding industry and I did my first highlights video last week. As I am not experienced at all within wedding stuff I would like you to show you my first work, to get some advice and feedback.
    The idea was to use minimum equipment and just me plus a sound/assistant person.
    Please let me know what you think.

I'm no expert at this, plenty on this forum are, and I'm sure they will let you know

For me I loved it, the highlights idea is great, location superb, that white border thing works, and I found it overall very touching, some great footage - ring drop etc.

I'd have liked fades for the initial panning, seemed a little jerky for an intro, and a couple of times you got the back of guests arriving rather than front, (some girls hate this for some reason )

I'll be interested to hear others comments, because this was great for me, or maybe I want to marry that girl - one of the two.

I agree with Stripe that some of the glide track shots could have been smoother. I also spotted micro movement on some of the static shots as though the camera man was holding onto the tripod when he's not doing a pan. I think you missed a trick at 19 secs shooting at that angle with such a shallow depth of field would have been ideal to do a focus pull across the sign, either that or have the whole thing in focus. I think the shot at 41 sec would have been better if the guys had been framed better before they got closer. The shot at 1:08 would have been nicer if the bride was slightly right of centre frame. I would take out the people shot at 1:15 the guy in the glasses spoils the moment for me with that look on his face when he realises the camera is on him.

Was the old guy doing the service deliberately trying to get in your way ?

It might have been nice to hear a few words of the speeches or other ambient sound, just to get a break up of the music a little. I think there was some applause at 2:53 but it was very low in the mix.

These are relatively minor knit picks for what is a very pleasant presentation.

Bear in mind, I do not do weddings so I speak with the voice of total inexperience.

Thanks guys! Yes I can see that is not perfect yet, but all I need is some experience. There is good point about the sound (I have quite good quality sound recorded) and I will obviously put the actual sound into main video (20min in total). But yes. Thanks for your feedback it seems that is not too bad which is good

I'm sure as time goes on your style will become more defined as to merit 'Luxury cinematic', but at the moment you are just cloning your way guided by other highlights on youtube etc.
    When I first started (when I were a lad) there were very few highlight clips online and everyone used their own imagination to set their own style. Now, everyone just picks their favourite bits from the clips online and replicates them.
    As I advise every newcomer, don't be misled by a great music track. Watch this edit again without sound and you'll see why I make the comments I do.
    Whilst you have a confident, reasonably smooth filming style and your choice of framing and shots was admirable, the jump cuts JAR. i.e. Sat at table, next shot cutting cake etc etc. The only way to avoid the jarring leap, is either to find/film something that happened in between these shots (candles/flowers/guests watching) or a fade down and up on the same people/ different scene.
    With more experience the audio will be used and come into play, subtly, on the highlights too.
    Guiding and advising the celebrant into position before the ceremony to avoid the nervous bobbing around in front of your camera all helps to make sure you get the impact shots you need. As it is, it's probaly pure luck that you managed the ones you have.
    You have a sound foundation of good filming skills and if your audio is as good, you're halfway there.
    Best of luck!
    My opinions are just that . . . Mine. It's not personal, but is based on my emotional and professional reaction to requested critique. If you choose to ignore constructive comments, I'll just assume you're a vanity poster and not posting to improve your filming and editing skills.

Ex A.P.V Videomaker of the year - Ex M.M. IOV Come join my EXclusive club

Thanks Zero. Yes I'll need to get more experience and confidence as for now I've done it in a "safe way". In terms of pure luck - it is always good to be lucky, and we need this luck as much as good camera and skills.

Blog Entries

I thought the general structure was OK and the shots great. Zero is looking with the eyes of a seasoned pro and there is no doubt that his suggestions will help you on the road to making better wedding videos.

My only additional comment is that I found the flashes very distracting, I'm guessing you are using a CMOS sensor and shooting progressive. One, or both and this is what is causing the flash to occur over only part of the image which just looks horrible. I don't know whether a flash remover plug-in will deal with this - if so it would be a very worthwhile investment. If not you need to treat each frame which has a flash so that at least the whole frame is consistent (either all fals, or all flash removed)
    Tim

Nicely done, but not doing anything for me, it could be any one of the myriads out there the pad and scan shots as I call them.

As Zero says you need to find your style, something that makes you stand out, with no Internet we had to and as I watch some of my old stuff I noticed I tried a lot of these shots (with heavy shoulder mount cameras), but finally settled on a comfortable style.

CLose your eyes and see the shots with the music and then go for the edit.

Thanks TimStannard. Yes I was using Canon 5dmkII and a few prime lenses - that is why it was not always easy to quickly change the frame, and yes, DSLR have there own limitation. I would rather use flash over full frame, than removing it completely. And yes. Will do it next time. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Brand new in the indusrty

No expert either, but that won't stop me! I like it and you used a nice variety of shots.

Wasn't keen on the white border.

There was no ambient sound whatsoever. A big part of the day are the vows and speeches, so I'd like segments to be audible.

I noticed the groom side stepping the camera on exiting the church. Oops! There was also a comedy reaction shot from someone (assuming grooms father) is this what they want?

I felt a bit cheated of pre ceremony shots of people interacting, but the closing first dance seemed to go on forever. What was your thought process in terms of balancing the footage?

I'm sure an expert will come along eventually!

edit: Oops, my phone decided to delay posting my message (hence being comepletely out of synch with the other posts and the experts posting before me).
    Last edited by Marc Peters; 02-25-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast