Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSPlat12: Hoping it can do all these things

Default MSPlat12: Hoping it can do all these things

I looked at the comparison of all the variations of Vegas/Movie Studio and for me Platinum seems the perfect choice.

I was wondering if anyone knows in advance if it can do all these things. I'm trying most of them now via a trial version and marking them green/red as I find out the answers.

1. Natively load input clip(s) in the formats: .MOV, .MPEG1/2, .MKV (H264), .MP4 (H264), .AVI (WM, DivX, XviD), WMV/ASF. (By natively, I mean not needing quality lowering pre-conversion via separate tool).
    2. Be able to output in at least .AVI (XviD), MP4 (H264), .WMV [MKV].
    3. Allow multiple clips to be loaded and moved around, inserted, trimmed (length) to produce an output that's a combination of those clips.
    4. Allow different audio to be loaded and used instead of the embedded audio in the clip(s) (bonus would be if it could be "mixed" with the embedded audio).
    5. Allow volume to be adjusted for each clip.
    6. Allow clips of different width/height to be loaded and they get scaled up/down to match the project being edited.
    7. Allow individual clips to be "processed" (brightness, effects, frame-rate adjustment for speeding up/down).
    8. Transitions between the clips (nothing too fancy, I'd be happy with just a straight cross-fade).
    9. Ability to chop/crop bits out of the clips, to highlight some frames and copy/paste them.
    10. Make a DVD
    with titles, chapter points of my (easy) choosing and main page background and/or loop clip.
    11. H265 support would be nice, but that might come in a future release.
    12. Ability to crop a clip (e.g. produce a 1280x720 clip from a 1920x1080 source, but clip rather than resizing).
    13. Video Capture via USB Hauppauge HVR900H
    (seems to be not compatible).
    14. Rotate a clip 180 degrees (because the film was shot with the camera clamped upside down).
    15. Speed up (or slow down) some individual clips (but not necessarily the whole project).

System I'm using is a Windows 7 Pro Intel i7-2600K @ 3.4GHz 64bit with 16GB of memory, SSD primary 256GB and 2TB secondary HDD.
    Last edited by dd990; 02-25-2013 at 11:23 AM.

dd,
    MSP 12 can do most of those things but not all (esp. in 1&2). See Technical specifications on the SCS site Product page.
    In addition, you need DVD Architect Studio (included in Platinum and PlatSuite 12) for some of the DVD features.

Your best bet is to test everything that is important to you with the trial version. Your 'reds' seem appropriate.
    Last edited by vkmast; 02-25-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vkmast View Post
    dd,
    MSP 12 can do most of those things but not all (esp. in 1&2). See Technical specifications on the SCS site Product page.
    In addition, you need DVD Architect Studio (included in Platinum and PlatSuite 12) for some of the DVD features.

Your best bet is to test everything that is important to you with the trial version. Your 'reds' seem appropriate.
    I'm not too bothered about the DVD aspect, but 1 & 2 were my biggest hope. I'm sick of having to keep half a dozen applications around just so I can deal with all file formats. Is it too much to ask for one program to be able to support them all? The WinFF conversion program can handle them all (as can VLC media player), but video editing programs always fail miserably at this. I'd hoped (and it seemed like) Media Studio was better at this. Not at all. I've already discovered that 90% of the video files I have (which are .avi with XviD encoding) are not readable by Sony Media Studio. So again I'd be left in the situation where I have to use WinFF to convert to a format that Media Studio would like, and the inevitable quality loss that entails.

Are there plugins that add support ?

You might google 'xvid codec for vegas'.
    Only install the codec you need. Use MediaInfo to find out the codec in the files.
    Last edited by vkmast; 02-25-2013 at 12:57 PM.

You might google 'xvid codec for vegas'.
    Only install the codec you need. Use MediaInfo to find out the codec in the files.
    I'd tried that, all the info was mostly old (2008 and earlier). Nothing useful came of it. I saw also problems with AAC and MP3 input and output also. I think I'm better off just accepting the drop in quality and convert the input file to something Media Studio likes, then do the editing, output it in a format that MS supports, and then convert it another time to my desired final format. Unless there's a "how to" official or unofficial on how to setup Media Studio to support everything, I don't want to google all these strange sites and download stuff from them that I don't know if I can trust.

Your choice, as always. Btw, it's Movie Studio as you initially correctly referred to.
    Sorry I could not help.
    Last edited by vkmast; 02-25-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Your choice, as always. Btw, it's Movie Studio as you initially correctly referred to.
    Sorry I could not help.
    Oops, not sure how I slipped into calling it Media studio

Down to just a few final questions now. Anyone know ?

6. Allow clips of different width/height to be loaded and they get scaled up/down to match the project being edited.
    If my first clip loaded is 640x480, then that sets the size of the project. Can I then load in something 320x240 and make it scale up to 640x480 (or if I try and load in something say 800x500, have it either resize or crop).

12. Ability to crop a clip (e.g. produce a 1280x720 clip from a 1920x1080 source, but clip rather than resizing).
    Imagine I filmed something at 1080p from slightly further back than I needed to, so that I would definitely keep everything in frame, then while editing, I want to crop the clips to 1280x720, ditching the uninteresting parts of the frame. Perhaps splitting the clips several times so I can crop each differently (e.g. the first 5 mins I crop mostly top/left, the next couple of mins I crop mostly bottom/right, but always cropping a 1280x720 part of the scene.

15. Speed up (or slow down) some individual clips (but not necessarily the whole project).
    I've played around with this and had some unusual results. I split a few times to get myself a clip to work with. Then I right click and choose properties and select 5.000 x playback. Unfortunately it didn't do anything to the audio. The result is that the clip before the one I changed runs at 1x speed (audio & video), then the altered clip runs at 5x video speed, 1x audio speed, and then the remaining 80% of the audio is played, but rather than have no video accompanying it (like I'd expect), the video from the next clip is played. Once the timeline reaches the end of the audio, it then reaches the next clip, which plays AGAIN. It's very weird. I think if I could make it speed up video & audio together it might work better. I never figured this one out.

Now I know why I started calling it Media Studio. Look up at the cookie crumbs for this folder. It's this forum section that's called "Sony Vegas and Media Studio".

Quote Originally Posted by dd990 View Post
    It's this forum section that's called "Sony Vegas and Media Studio".
    Under the forum heading it goes on to say Yep, I know they're not related, but they both fall in the Premiere Alternative bracket in my humble opinion! Post here for Ulead Media Studio or Vegas video problems or pointers...

Under the forum heading it goes on to say Yep, I know they're not related, but they both fall in the Premiere Alternative bracket in my humble opinion! Post here for Ulead Media Studio or Vegas video problems or pointers...
    Aaaaah, I was thinking the Sony applied to both, as if there was an implied Sony before "Media Studio".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast