Thread: 'Fan Videos' ---Necessary?

1. Default Presented as /So called 'Fan Videos' /---Necessary?

Fan Videos

For critique of all non-original edited content videos (so called 'fan videos' using footage borrowed from other sources)

Instead of simply saying Fan Videos it is so called 'fan videos' and has the need to descibe it only as non-original edited content with borrowed footage..

Doesn't that kinda feel like a snarky mockery or slap in the face to 'vidders' or people who make fan videos. I've never really seen that before. Ya it's borrowed but tributed to our favorite shows. We don't take it to create profit or credit for 'original footage' but just as a showcase to the things we like about it. It's showing homage, really and I know with the show I tribute to, the writers and directors acknowledge, encourage and tweet our videos. Nothing wrong with that. As long as credit is placed where it belongs. Original footage and fan videos are on two different levels, not even necessary to compare or mock. We don't claim to be directors or anything.. I know there's alot of cover bands out there that sing homage to their favorite tunes. Or big time artists who sing 'Non-Original' tunes. And these 'Fan Videos' are just for fun. No need to be stuck up about it. We all have different hobbies. I'm just surprised.

What do you guys think? Does that seem a bit ignorant or dramatic to be classified as So called 'fan videos'
    Last edited by 7zMoonShadowz7; 02-24-2013 at 06:00 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 7zMoonShadowz7 View Post
    What do you guys think? Does that seem a bit ignorant or dramatic?
    It can sound however you want it to sound.

But the simple fact is that there are plenty of people who love fan videos and plenty of people who make them. Similarly there are people who are only interested in material that has been shot by the team producing the film. Some people are interested in both. Likewise, there are also people who are interested mainly (only?) in video game footage.

Separate sections simply help guide people towards the areas they are interested in so that, for example, you do not have to wade through 20 or so threads filled with amateur shot footage for every one which includes footage edited together from professionally shot commercial films/TV programs.

Equally I, who is only interested in films shot from scratch, do not have to wade through posts of edited compilations from Twighlight or NFL games. They may be very well done and I'm not criticicing them I'm simply not interested in them.

A bit of history:
    A few years back, "vidders" films (they weren't known as that then) were mixed in with the other user videos. Every time one was posted it seemed there would be an endless debate about plagiarism, one side slagging off "vidding", the other defending it. It was evident that both sides had strong arguments and the argument was never going to be settled. Any genuine criticism of the films presented was lost among these arguments.

The site admin, in an inspired move, got rid of all this by providing a separate place for "fan videos" (and at the same time, video game footage).

Was it necessary? Possibly not - if we were happy to have the threads just full of the same old arguments. Was it desirable and successful? Resoundingly YES, because we very rately get the old re-hashed arguments about whether or not "vidding" is valid. In fact you making an argument out of it is the first I can remember for many months
    Last edited by TimStannard; 02-24-2013 at 12:55 AM.
    Tim

3. Default

I understand the seperation. Not what I was talking bout.. Maybe the way it was presented and described is what caught me off guard.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 7zMoonShadowz7 View Post
    I understand the seperation. Not what I was talking bout.. Maybe the way it was presented and described is what caught me off guard.
    Perfectly logically described. At the time some people who made them referred to them as "fan videos" but the term wasn't widely understood (if you'd said "fan videos" to me I would have imagined this referred to compilations of clips about a particular pop star or movie star). If the intention was to imply criticism, it would have said "footage stolen from other sources" rather than "borrowed".
    Tim

I don't have a problem with people making fan videos as I see it as good practise at editing. I find it hard to critique them as it's not always obvious what is original and what is done by the person. The world of videography is a wide church encompassing many different skills from camera craft, sound recording, editing, colourists, story telling etc...

Making fan videos is just being part of the congregation. The one possible issue is what the copyright holder may think of their work being used by someone else. BUT that is really another issue, and a can of worms best left un-opened in this conversation. (hopefully)