Thread: how to resize clip but not mask in after effects

Default how to resize clip but not mask in after effects

I would like to have a clip change size, but to keep the mask that's hiding part of it the same size. but, no matter what i've tried the mask always seems to be bound to the size of clip, which in many cases is exactly what you want, but it's not what i want right now.

i tried shift drag and all that, locking or unlocking doesn't seem to change anything. idk, i feel like this should be something simple, like a checkbox, or modifier key, or something like that, but i can't find the solution. please help. i can't find the answer anywhere.

I experimented a bit with this, but found out that the mask does seem to be bound with the size of the footage. I believe it's a question of the mask data being handled as vectors, thus always scaling it "right" with the footage.

If there is a simple way around it, I couldn't figure it out. I can't really see why you would like to archieve this result, though, doesn't the area to be masked out scale up with the footage too so that the mask is in the right place after the scale up?

I forget exactly the scenario now where i wanted this. but my video is setup in like windows sort of thing. it just makes it easier if i can leave the "window" fixed, and move the video behind it. my video clips are constantly moving around and changing sizes and stuff. i know that loses resolution, but whatever. i'm not a pro. just want to make a cool video. i discovered that track mattes can do this sort of thing though. my windows change size a lot, but had i known about this, i may have rethought that in the beginning, planning to get a more consistent window size... but maybe not.

Why not just put the mask onto another layer, where it won't be affected by the size of the layer below?