Thread: Transfer all effects and Keyframes from one clip to another in after effects?

Default Transfer all effects and Keyframes from one clip to another in after effects?

I was just wondering, is it possible to take all the keyframes and effects and masks and whatnot from one clip and then transfer them over to another one, in adobe after effects?

I want to use kind of a draft clip, and have the edits i make to it, transferred to the good copy once it is recorded. I know it won't be perfect, but it will save me a lot of time if this is possible.

Yes, it should be easy. Just copy your whole effects panel from the clip you want and paste it to another. It should copy all effects, including their keyframes. Same thing applies to masks, opacity and such, simply copy and paste it around.

There might not be "copy" button available by right clicking the effects, but ctrl + c for copy and ctrl + v for paste should work just fine.

Sweet, that's good news. ya, i find that a little weird about after effects. when you right click things, there's never any dialog for cutting or copying, yet the program is smart and knows the last touched thing, and that you can copy that. it's a little weird, because the dialog helps to know what can and can't be copied and pasted, but it's not so bad. basically everything seems to be able to be copy and pasted. i do sometimes like to use mouse only though, but whatever, keyboard is fast.

It's not working out as i'd hoped at all. i was hoping i would be able to get everything from all keyframes to move slightly in a relative manner. so, highlight every key frame, and make the clip left by some amount, and have it move x by that amount in every key frame, which it may be doing, and i think it is.

but the mask is the problem i think. because the mask moves along with the clip. i think the way after effects records where the mask is, is always relative to position of clip. or idk, but i wish i could just move the clip behind the mask, which might solve this, or i wish i could move the clip and then copy the mask over after having done that and then it will be in the proper place, but it isn't. it's as though the mask's has no actual idea where it is relative to the work area, and only knows where it is relative to clips or something.

it's really irritating.

it's looking i'm gonna have to go to every single key frame, and change the mask. i wish they let you toggle between the mask working in a work area relative way, and a clip relative way. you'd expect an adobe product to let you do that.

I see. You might want to create a layer above your original layer, copy the mask to it and set the mask to inverse or substract. That way the masked area should be the only area you see through, leaving your original layer under it to be scaled or moved around without the new "mask layer" moving with it. I believe something similiar was suggested in your other topic by TimAndrews.

Hope I understood what you meant.

ya, that would work, the problem is, i kind of need it in an adjustment way. i fin it odd that it's not possible. i mean, if at some point, you decide you don't like where an clip is relative to your mask, but you like where your mask is relative to your project, then it's many steps to fix, instead of idk, shift +ctrl+drag clip. I guess maybe the way people use after effects, it doesn't really come up. your solution and also track mattes are basically that, if you plan ahead and want that for that feature alone. me, i want the mask to be glued to the clip, but not all the time.