Thread: Suitable prize for video competition

Default Suitable prize for video competition

Hey all,

The company I work for wants to do a video competition, something quite large which will get a fair amount of exposure.
    They want people to create videos which would be an advert for our company.
    The winning team or video maker/editor/director would win a substantial prize.
    The competition would be open to all countries so there would be interested parties from many parts of the world competing.

My question is this:

What type of prizes would entice you to enter?
    If you say cash, how much do you think would be a good prize?

Thanks in advance.

Around 5000 cash or camera related prizes for the winner with lots of smaller prizes to attract interest from though who know they wont win.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blue View Post
    Around 5000 cash or camera related prizes for the winner with lots of smaller prizes to attract interest from though who know they wont win.
    Thanks for the reply.
    realistically, how much effort would you put into a competition video if the prize was 1000, 5000 or 15 000?

You will get all sorts of people "having a go" but you will also get people trying to make it in the industry who will be will to working more for the recognition than the prise money, if there is a chance they will be viewed worldwide.

There are some really talented people out there who can produce great works who do it just for the love of it BUT offering an achievable prise can be enough incentive to get people off there arses.

When looking for project funding many organisations what to know what has been done previously, this obviously causes problems with start up funding. Often being able to say what competitions have been won holds great merit here, the more prestigious competitions are obviously better. But if a company such as yourself offers a competition like this it can help, the higher the prize money the more serious the funders will take the group/individual who won.

6. Default

Good question! There are many video competitions out there that simply don't offer large enough prizes to attract high-quality entries.

I agree with Midnight Blue that 5000 is the kind of amount you are looking at in order to attract serious individuals in the filmmaking profession. I own a production company and I frequently enter competitions around that price range.

When the competition is open I'd love to hear about it and make an entry myself! Can you email me when it's launched? My email is