Thread: Slightly Complex picture in picture collage typed thing question

Default Slightly Complex picture in picture collage typed thing question

I'm making a sort of music video, i'd like to get an effect similar to this video. But I'm a little unsure about the best way to go about it.

one thing that's making it a little difficult, is that every instrument played will be recorded separately, but those separate audio tracks will be rendered to a single track, which the videos will need to be synced with.

i think i have the syncing sort of figured out, but i mentioned it, because i'm wondering what would be the best program to use to get this sort of effect, which would be the fastest and easiest, after effects or premiere.

After effects seems much more simple to me for masking and getting the videos where i want them, but from my very limited knowledge, seems like it might be more difficult to get the whole syncing thing working out easily.

adobe premiere on the other hand seems like the opposite, more time consuming and difficult to get the picture in picture sort of thing, but better suited for syncing the audio.

It would be cool also, if i could have the frames kind of pop in or slide in from the side and stuff, but i guess that would really have to be after effects, i'm just not sure the best way to go about syncing with after effects. but maybe it's not so bad.

any ideas, or links to useful youtube videos would be really helpful. or even just the best way to describe this sort of editing would be great.I looked through youtube videos already, but none i have found so far really helped me for my specific need.
    Last edited by YouNoob; 02-20-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YouNoob View Post
    adobe premiere on the other hand seems like the opposite, more time consuming and difficult to get the picture in picture sort of thing, but better suited for syncing the audio.
    It should not be difficult, depending on how you setup the Premiere project. IMHO,
    I would decide how many 'panels' I want, their positions and which clips they display. Then, I would create a new sequence for each panel; apply a white Matte layer and then apply the required clip. Then scale and move the clip to the required position/size; and add a four point garbage matte effect to the clip, to give its white border.
    Then (after having done all of them), create a final Sequence; and add all the previously made sequences. Sync each one; and then start the editing.
    Something like that anyway. Either way, I personally don't see any need here for AE.

Depending on the version/edition of Premiere, the 'multicam' option can be useful for multicam editing.

But isn't matting and stuff more difficult with premiere than after effects? One thing i'm a little worried about, is that i will want to have my videos sized and placed in different orientations, but i don't want to lose their sync. Ideally. this would mean that i have one video clip kind of pegged to my timeline, and synced with the audio, and then had it change size and re-locate at different points along the timeline. sometimes disappear, and sometimes reappear, and having some kind of effects, like a clip growing out of the bottom, and clips rearranging themselves to make room for new ones would be cool also.

i fear that trial and error will be the only way to get to know how to do this right, I just don't want to be screwed in the recording phase, not having done something i needed to plan ahead for. fixing issues and tinkering around with it, i'm ok with.

right now i'm planing on just clapping on camera for every camera shot, and syncing with that to my audio.