Thread: Need Software Suggestions.

Default Need Software Suggestions.

Hey Guys,

I'm quite active in a number of Photography forums.
    This is my first foray into Video and my first post on this forum, so thank you in advance for all your help.

I have a specific problem i am trying to solve:
    I have an excel document with two columns
    The First column is a time stamp of regular intervals (say one second each row, but can be changed to a half a second or 5 seconds etc.)
    The Second Column is a value ranging from 90 through -90. This represents an angle of which that frame should be rotated along the horizon.
    I have about 15 minute worth of 'rotation values' and my original footage may be 1080p.

This is what same information would look like:
    00:00:01 00
    00:00:02 05
    00:00:03 10
    00:00:04 05
    00:00:05 00
    00:00:06 -05
    00:00:07 10
    00:14:59 10
    00:15:00 05

So the end result would be the footage rotating around the 'Z' axis in accordance to this spreadsheet.

Is there an easy way to do this?
    What video editing software should I look into?
    Is there a command line batch tool that may do this for me?

As I said Im a totally Noob, but not dim.
    I dont really need to be spoonfed the answer, just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!!!
    Chris from NY.

Sony Vegas Pro can use scripts but I've never used them so I can't advise you on how. What your trying to do can be done by hand quite easily if you can't figure out how to use the scripting tool. You can use either the pan/crop tool or track motion tool. I'm sure Adobe Premiere can do this also but I'm a Sony user.

Adobe Premiere does not have a scripting system. It would have to be done manually (similar to MB's explanation of Sony).
    Adobe 'After Effects' does have a scripting language which could read the original data in the CSV file. Data can also be imported via the clipboard. If the original data can be converted to the correct format.
    On additional factor - Other than the value of the Z rotations, many apps also enable the User to choose the form of 'interpolation' to be used.

Quote Originally Posted by TimAndrews View Post
    Adobe Premiere does not have a scripting system. It would have to be done manually (similar to MB's explanation of Sony).
    Adobe 'After Effects' does have a scripting language which could read the original data in the CSV file. Data can also be imported via the clipboard. If the original data can be converted to the correct format.
    On additional factor - Other than the value of the Z rotations, many apps also enable the User to choose the form of 'interpolation' to be used.
    Thanks for the input guys.
    Yes, doing manually would be prohibitively involving, i'm looking for a systemic approach.

Since its in excel I can save the data into most any format.
    I will look into Vega and AfterEffects, thanks.

In the meantime, if anyone else has any suggestions, please send them my way. I'd like to evaluate as many options as I can.

By interpolation, you mean how the software renders the transition from one frame to the next?
    Im hoping if my sample rate is short enough (100 milliseconds? 10 milliseconds?) the finished video would be smooth enough...

thanks again.

ok, perhaps im waaaaaay complicating this!
    Here is the REAL problem im trying to solve: My camera is mounted on the Bow of a sailboat, Id like to eliminate the rocking and keep the horizon level.
    The solution should be simple enough for my parents. They can follow Steps, but they cant do PostProduction Editing...

Thoughts?
    Thanks!

6. Default

I'm also a Vegas user. Here's 2 ideas, maybe you'll like one of them.
    1. Sony Vegas allows you to do as much rotating as you want, at the speed you want, with X, Y and Z axis with EVENT PAN/CROP option, as TIM said. So, you just apply the rotation you want to your pictures.
    2. If it's pictures you want to rotate, you may use photoshop to create a MASK of the object you want to rotate, considering you have a backgound picture to fit that mask. With 2 video tracks, you can easily create a static background where nothing moves, and apply rotation to the mask object you want. (Example: Picture of the sea with rock as a static background, and rotate a mask of a boat. Only the boat will move.)
    Hope this was helpful.

Cheers,

DeadEye

Thanks team,
    Ill give it a shot and see how it works!
    Best,
    Chris