Thread: Can someone help

Default Can someone help

hi, sorry to ask this question here, but i'm desperate.

I work for a book publishers and I've been given a brief to make a video, but I just don't know where to begin. I've made plenty of straight videos, but this one is a little more ambitious, as the bosses want to include animation and are using the link below (game of thrones) as a template Game Of Thrones - Trailer - HarperCollins on Vimeo

So can anyone recommend what software would be best to produce this? and if there are any tutorials I could have a look at.

Thanks in advance you lovely people!
    ant

It may depend on your preferred OS. I use Microsoft Windows.
    My personal recommendation would be to consider using either 'Blender' or '3d Max' (or both). one app is cheap, the other is expensive. However, both have a speed learning curve.
    Doing those effects using a standard software (e.g.Vegas, or Premiere or AfterEffects) is possible, but it would be more difficult to maintain a 3d look. Such effects would require an ingenious camera matching system.

Here is an interesting demo of Blender, but bear in mind that it took alot of work by a team of people. Sintel - Third Open Movie by Blender Foundation - YouTube

What's the budget for this video?

Hi Tim,

thanks so much for getting back to me on this, I use a macbook pro, I have have basic iMovie, but will download software either blend or 3Ds max to make this vid.

I've been given a budget of 400 and two weeks to make it, so I think is about planning and seeing what's achievable.

Which out of blend or 3d max would you recommend?

Thanks again for your help!
    ant

Quote Originally Posted by ldn View Post
    I've been given a budget of 400 and two weeks to make it, so I think is about planning and seeing what's achievable.
    Which out of blend or 3d max would you recommend?
    Blender is free, Autodesk's 3d Max costs more than 400. Tho' I am doubt much can be achieved in two weeks if you have no prior exerience of them.

I'm not trying to sound sarcastic or anything here, it's just a reality check.

I'm already proficient with 3d moddling/animation/texturing/rendering etc. If I was asked to put that together in 2 weeks the money would need to be very, very tempting. Enough to cover being locked away from society and to cover the 2-6 hours sleep a night I'd get. It would also need to cover the cost of rendering at a farm and to be honest I'd probably refuse the job.

Your best to tell your bosses straight off to talk to a local advertising agency, or even better directly with an animation company if you know of one. Learning how to do it would take way longer than doing it and the time is very stretched for that alone.

Just as an example, as a 1 man band, if the deadline was 1 month I'd jump on it. but if the budget was 10 times what yours is I'd take it on if work was slow, it would be very cheap for what is asked for, especially in the short deadline, assuming the 1 month example. For a company of numerous employees 2 weeks wouldn't be a problem if their schedule allowed it to fit, but multiple employes on a single project costs bucks.

David.

Agree, this seems to me a Boss that has no grasp of the video-business and is too keen to save money; even though the result is unlikley to be entirely satisfactory.
    Two weeks did I read? - forget it, just be careful refusal doesn't affect yr career . . . . as taking it on almost certainly will.

Arrgh.

Quote Originally Posted by vidmanners View Post
    Agree, this seems to me a Boss that has no grasp of the video-business and is too keen to save money; even though the result is unlikley to be entirely satisfactory.
    Two weeks did I read? - forget it, just be careful refusal doesn't affect yr career . . . . as taking it on almost certainly will.

Arrgh.
    So true!