Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Skies - Scifi Short Film

Default Red Skies - Scifi Short Film

Hello there.

I have been away for some time. It has been more than six months since I last filmed a short, so it's high time I actually dust off my camera and create something. That something turned out to be bit more ambitious than I first thought. I present to you; Red Skies.

Colonization of Moon has has not been without bloodshed. New Red Skies doctrine states that all resistance is to be eliminated on the spot... Even if the culprits are only caught years after their crimes.

Red Skies (2013) | Scifi Short Film - YouTube

This film was made with less than 20€ budget and two person crew. More information can be found from description of the video. Thank you for watching!

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have and feel free to comment.

-St. Scoundrel, SSCinema.

I think you did a good job producing this but unfortunately you lost me with the narrative. I didn't get how or why he shot himself.

Ah, yes, the inevitable downsides of not having dialogue. I tried to tell the story without explaining too much of it, so I guess it's quite natural that it might get hard to understand. I was actually worried something like that would happen.

The Red Skies doctrine is explained in the beginning, hinting that only traitors are send back in time to the scenes of their crimes. Thus usually after battles, betrayals and such men would simply wait some time for those who might have escaped their attention to be send back to them, no matter when they are caught. The scene in beginning is just example of that, the man did not know it was himself he was shooting. The woman character in the end is supposed to double cross him somehow, as retribution for his acts over the years, in a sense framing him and sending him to be be unknowingly executed by his younger self. Sort of cosmic scale karma.

...I of course realize that if someone has to explain his movie, the narration is usually flawed in some sense. How about rest of you guys, how many found it hard to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by SSCinema View Post
    How about rest of you guys, how many found it hard to follow?
    Afraid so !! It did look good though how long did it take to shoot?
    'No longer are the pleasures of Home Movie Making limited to those with ample funds. Now the man and woman of moderate means can join the sport'..... Kodak catalogue 1933

Shooting took three sessions. One in the forest with trenches, few days after that I returned there as I had forgotten to shoot the part needed for transition from young face to the older one. Third one was the Mars setting. So had I remembered to actually shoot everything the first time I could have done the filming in two days. My camera's battery only lasts for maybe two hours of use, so the shooting can't have taken very long. I tend to plan things ahead so that the actual shooting part doesn't take too long. It also helps that my camera operator has now gotten quite used to my style of shooting.

Blog Entries

Sorry, the plot is lost on me as well. However your explanation adds very little to what we can already understand from the film and the text at the beginning. (What it adds is that the woman is double crossing him, although I suppose that is obvious as he isn't at first surprised to see here, so he must trust her)

The problem as far as I'm concerned is that we are given no reason to believe that the main character is a traitor. It's a bit like a whodunnit where it is revealed that the perpetrator is someone who hasn't been mentioned before. We need clues, "signposts" that he is a traitor, we ca't simply assume that because he's been sent back in time he is a traitor (well, we can, but that's not a satisfying story)

I thought it was shot well (snow can't be easy to get right) and the cloning was done effectively. The gunfire effects cheapened it a lot though. Again it's a case of less is more. It might even have looked more realistic if you'd relied purely on the sound FX and the acting.

I also liked the choice of the music generally - although Pachabel's canon has become rather cliché (again) and I did think the use of Wagner's wedding march was to indicate that the woman was the man's wife (presumably not or you would have referred to her as such in your earlier post) so this rather misdirected me.
    Tim

Interesting, I had actually never heard Pachelbel's canon prior to filming this one. Didn't know it is considered cliché. Whoops.

And apparently I didn't explain things well enough in my prior post. Rereading it I did notice what I wrote can be interpreted in two ways. The man was not traitor, when I said the woman double crossed him I didn't mean giving him in or anything like that. More as a revenge, putting the man in his uniform and masking him so he would be considered just another traitor when he pops up in the past. That would be why there were no hints of the man being traitor of some sort, merely a man whose past actions executing others provided possibilities for some to be antagonized.

The Wagner's Wedding March was not strictly intended to indicate that the woman was the man's wife, but I did consider some would think it so. It can go either way, really, as it doesn't change the story. I for one considered it to be bit more metaphorical, the man's wedding day with destiny/death.

Also, it might be worth saying that I often like to leave many things unexplained. I like to think that viewer will make some assumptions of his/her own, such as who this woman really was and what motivated him. For me all that can be considered "canon" from the Mars scene tells us that woman was someone who the man trusted to some degree, but had some reason to frame/kill him. It might not be enough to satisfy some, but it's a style I often enjoy in films.

Thanks for the indepth input, it's appreciated.

You cannot have a long winded explanation at the start of a movie, and then try to be mystical with your plot. I think you are trying to have your cake and eat it.

Without the explanation I would not have had a clue about the plot.

With the explanation, the plot should have been understandable, but it still made no sense. For instance, how was he committing a crime by being an executioner during war time?

The plot was not coherent despite you explaining it prior to the film. Maybe if we could spend the time to figure out that she was betraying him, but how can you expect anyone to care that much?

Unless you are Stanley Kubrick arriving from the future, this is a fail.

Stripe: Aww. Such a harsh judgement.

It never really occurred to me that the plot would be too hard to interpret, before reading these comments. True, there are a few alternative ways to understand it, but I personally can't find any of those to be very confusing. I'm sorry to hear that you found the plot to be tough to follow, and that it apparently got you annoyed. The intention wasn't to be mystical, just to leave something for the viewer to realize for him/herself.

So... I'd like to know, what you would have done in a different way? (Concretely, not just "been more clear", as that doesen't give much to work on.) The feedback here surprised me, and I'd like to understand just what would've made the difference, in your opinion.

Cheers

- Uine (camera operator & the lady in the red dress)

Well, Stripe, one most definitely can have long winded explanation at the start of the movie (altough I wouldn't consider this one long winded). What one can't have is everyone agreeing with that choice. I of course can't know if you're fan of Star Wars movies, but they are prime example of that. A rather long text sequence instead of the two sentences I placed in the beginning of Red Skies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    For instance, how was he committing a crime by being an executioner during war time?
    Well, he most definitely did not commit a crime. That is the point. As he is not portrayed doing anything that would be worth considering him a traitor, he probably is not one. Ergo, I'd say logical conclusion is that he was framed in the Mars scene.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripe View Post
    Unless you are Stanley Kubrick arriving from the future, this is a fail.
    I also think that you are a bit illogical here. If something is a fail by your standards, you should consider it fail even if it was made by someone famous. A bad song is a bad song, be it composed by Ludvig Van Beethoven or Anthony Anonymous.

Too bad you didn't like the film, but your indepth review of it's alleged weaknesses is highly appreciated criticism. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast